Forgot To Add Flavor To Dough????

Baking By mrsmac888 Updated 8 Feb 2021 , 3:30pm by theresaf

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 5 Feb 2021 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 16

I made a double batch of NFSC dough yesterday wrapped it up and popped it in the fridge.  This morning I realized that I forgot to put the flavoring in it.  I'm decorating them with royal icing and always add flavor to the cookie dough to offset the meringue flavor in the icing, which also will get flavored.  Do you think I could bring the dough back to room temp and add flavoring to it, or is it too late???

Thanks!
Christina

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Feb 2021 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 16

I've never tried it, but it seems reasonable that you could bring the dough to room temp, work in the flavoring and re-chill.  You could also add a little extra flavoring to your icing, to offset the blandness of the cookie dough.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2021 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 16

yes you can do that but the cookies might develop a tad bit of gluten and be a little chewier which is no real problem but it probably will happen -- another idea would be to make another batch with double the flavoring -- or a half batch with the enough to flavor for everything --

because just adding liquid flavor, it's such a small amount, it's easy to not get it blended well --

you could even make a quarter batch with enough flavoring --

when I've done this I layered the first batch with the flavored batch so it has a head start getting combined well --

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 12:58am
post #4 of 16

I’ve made this sugar cookie dough. Once you add your icing to the cookies, you won’t notice the missing flavouring.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 16

a flavoring story...

once upon a time a family moved to a new area and enrolled their daughter in first grade -- no one was more surprised than they when one little girl in the class was unfriendly toward their daughter -- some time later the family had a birthday party and invited all the girls in the class --

the mother made beautiful petit fours but oh no forgot the flavoring!! they really needed the lemon in the cake to offset the tooth biting sweetness so she tested it and yes if she put a swipe of lemon on the bottom of the cake -- the petit four was well balanced and tasted great -- whew! dodged that billet --

for some reason, well because the cakelette was so pretty, the mean girl licked the bottom of the petit four and got a blast of the lemon extract and while everyone else was enjoying themselves her mother couldn't hardly get her to stop squealing about the nasty taste in her mouth -- 

and they lived happily ever after blush

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 16

This made me giggle, but it also raises a lot of questions????

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 16

what do you want to know --

no I never let on to them -- everybody just ignored her kinda

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 16

they were self serve -- I mean how often do you find yourself licking the bottom of your food before biting it

-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 16

and they ordered cakes from 'this lady' for years and years blush

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 6 Feb 2021 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 16

Kate - hahaha just how well do you know "this lady"?  Do you just see her in the mirror??

Thanks for today's laugh

In answer to the question, I'd go with more flavoring in the icing but I am very interested in everyone else's suggestions too!  Let us know how it turned out!

T

-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 1:31am
post #11 of 16

theresa -- bwoowahahahahahaha 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 2:40am
post #12 of 16

I was wondering if you were the baker or the naughty little girl, lol!  Glad you were the baker and everyone ignored her!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 16

tmi but here goes anyway --

flavoring story, the sequel 2015

so a couple years into the school days, the unfriendly girl's dad hires the other girl's dad -- but 26 years later they fire him for cause, they said -- and in lessons learned over a lifetime they also tried to skunk him on his unemployment benefits too -- despite the fact his wife is disabled -- but he appealed the decision and because the workplace had had a big contract cancelled the day before the firing -- he got his unemployment --

and they lived much more contented and happily ever after 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 16

A very nice, fitting end of the story!  Sort of explains the mean girl, doesn't it?!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 16

exactly

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 16

I love a happy ending ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%