Making A Casket Cake Need Help Please

Decorating By dweddings Updated 29 Nov 2020 , 9:29pm by dweddings

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 25 Nov 2020 , 11:21am
post #1 of 6

Making a casket cake for 35 people for funeral director’s birthday party.Please any hints or help you can offer on carving cake. The lid of casket is to be domed & one half of lid is to be opened and in up position. Cake must look as close to a real casket as possible. Not sure if going to make open part of lid out of fondant or rice krispy treat. Please any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2020 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 6

this is a kinda creepy cake huh -- under the banner of 'any advice' -- I would use that bubbly fondant effect for the inside of the casket -- where you cut the same size pieces and pinch it so it looks kinda like a poofy bubble and apply pinched side down -- kwim? so it looks tufted -- no buttons though -- 

I've run through some ideas in my head for the open lid: cake, gum paste, fondant, gingerbread, royal, rice krispie treats  -- because in my mind the inside of the lid is also domed -- I think I would just use foam core glued together covered with fondant -- poofy stuff on the inside -- it's that beveled join on four sides to get the domed shape that's gonna be tricky plus it's gotta hold the weight of itself too and that at a drastic nearly perpendicular angle  -- I love and prefer to make everything edible but I'm practical too -- if it was only open a little but casket lids are usually wide open -- or you could skip the domed inside and just dome the outside -- but still that angle -- 

I vote for foam core for the lid -- and you could have it part way open, no dome on the underside, just flat and carve a little piece of cake for the top -- 

depending on how much they're paying me I would make the bottom half of the casket under the open lid outa foam core too so it can look the part, be open for business (shudder shudder) I mean you can't exactly fill it with cake right -- and you can just make a little fondant curtain to go between the two areas -- between the cake part and the empty casket part -- between the covered casket  part and the open casket part --

I usually go look at pictures when I try to think through a project but nuh ugh, not this time -- hahahaha 

best to you

and if they ain't paying enough money like several hundreds of dollars -- tell 'em, no open lid -- that's what I would do 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Nov 2020 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

Why not make the open lid part from gp? That can be dried on a curved something & would be lightweight.   I did one many years ago but can’t get to my pix:(   It’s on a disc —no way to use as all I have to use for internet is my phone.  & mine wasn’t authentic.  I used the long loaf pan & I think cardboard for the lid.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Nov 2020 , 2:48am
post #4 of 6

My first thought was to use styrofoam for the open part of the lid.  It is the only think I know of that is strong enough and light enough to stand securely.  Of course, I would hate, hate, hate trying to carve the styrofoam.  Too bad Kate cannot do it for you, she is the Queen!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2020 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

foam, duh, k8 of course! great idea

what are you thinking, dweddings?

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 29 Nov 2020 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%