Wedding Cake Question

Baking By whatthedogate Updated 1 day ago by kakeladi

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 18

Hello Cake Central Friends.  It has been quite a while since I have posted here and I hope you are all well.  I have a wedding cake coming up and I knww this his would be the right place to get spot on advice.  I'm making this cake as an 8 inch bottom tier and a 5 inch top tier.

1.  The bottom tier will be a double barrel, except the bottom portion will be a 4 inch tall cake dummy with a 6 inch tall cake stacked right on top.  I was thinking I would white chocolate ganache the whole bottom tier for added stability and then cover with SMBC.  Can you do that?  Will the buttercream stick to the ganache?  Is that a good way to keep the bottom tier more stable, or is it an unnecessary step? Any tips on how to secure the cake to the cake dummy?

2.  The bottom tier will be white cake with passion fruit curd.  Any good recipes for passion fruit curd?  I bought some passion fruit pulp on Amazon and plan to just use it in a standard curd recipe.  That sound ok?

3.  For the top tier the bride would like a gluten free Chai Spice cake.  I have a good spice cake recipe and plan to just sub in Bob GF 1:1.  Any advice on that?  Filling will be cream cheese frosting and again I will cover the outside in SMBC.

4.  Much of the outside is covered in gold leaf.  I already bought plenty on Amazon.  Any tips for covering in gold leaf?  Does it stick well to SMBC?  Would I be better off to do ABC for the gold leaf to stick to? Any tips for using gold leaf?

5.  All together the cake will have a height of about 17 inches tall.  Obviously with the gold leaf cannot really assemble on site.  I need to drive it 30 minutes away.  Any tips for securing the whole thing that doesn't involve buying a cake safe?

6.  Please cross your fingers and say a prayer.  I really want to get this cake right.  I feel like I've really improved my skills in the past year or so of caking.  However, this cake has so many "moving parts" and is for such an important event and the bride has 14K followers on Instagram.  So I don't want to screw this up.  So if you can give me any tips at all I would greatly, greatly, greatly appreciate it.  

Note:  She's doing fresh florals in conjunction with her florist.  

Wedding Cake Question

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 1:54am
post #2 of 18

i just have some random observations for you --

test that cake recipe well in advance -- it may work perfectly -- gluten free stuff is not always easy to produce though --

cream cheese icing has to be kept cold and adds a whole 'nuther layer of responsibility there's a recipe for faux cream cheese icing -- doesn't need to be fridged but has the tang you're looking for -- https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

yes gold leaf does stick well to swiss meringue --be sure to practice with the gold leaf way before the cake is due -- a leaf of it can go poof in a nanosecond -- in fact you hold your breath because breathing on it will make it disappear -- it's not difficult -- it's tricky -- just gotta practice

my greatest concern is the part about the florist -- i would not let the florist do flowers without my direction/input -- if the florist leaves you flowers at the reception for you to put on, great -- otherwise she is not a caker and it has the potential to be a problem if not reigned in -- could be too big, too small -- it's an unknown that will show in every picture -- i would not let that slide --

i would deliver the cake cold -- gold leaf or not i would probably assemble on site -- you can add some more leaf to cover the join -- i would insert a dowel clean through each tier or through the shole thing if you decide to deliver stacked and left sticking up to use as a handle -- remove after assembling and just fill in the hole on top -- if you are delivering alone you can let the dowel stick up through the top of the box for security too -- cakes that tall and spindly must be nice and cold for delivery not frozen of course --

just some thoughts for you -- nice to see you

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 1:55am
post #3 of 18

and the passion fruit curd would also have to be kept fridged

whatthedogate Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 4:27am
post #4 of 18

Hi k8atememphis! I knew you would have invaluable advice. Thank you so much for your expertise. I really appreciate it. 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 11:27am
post #5 of 18

you're welcome! I hope it goes wonderfully! can't wait for pictures heart

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 18

I agree with everything K8 said.  Keep it nice and cold and drive a dowel all the way through the cake and into the cake board.  I would use a cake board at least 1/2 inch thick, preferably 1 inch to support the dowel.  The idea of allowing it to stick out the top a few inches is also good, like a mini cake safe.  Construct your transport box so that the top lifts up, with a hole in the middle for the dowel to fit through.  Great stabilizer.  I always deliver cakes using Serdar Yener's portable cooler, it's free and works like a charm.  The only thing I do differently is to leave one side of the box open so I can slide the cake in and out more easily.  I also agree about the flowers and would try and talk her into using sugar flowers, if you feel comfortable making them.  I've never used gold leaf, but do know it can poof away in a heartbeat!

https://www.yenersway.com/tutorials/free-online-cake-decorating-tutorials/how-to-make-an-instant-portable-fridge-for-cake-deliveries/

whatthedogate Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 4:33am
post #7 of 18

Thank you, Sandra. I don't have the time or talent to do sugar flowers like that. Maybe I can talk her into some nice silk florals. Good advice all around. Fingers crossed.

whatthedogate Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 4:33am
post #8 of 18

Thank you, Sandra. I don't have the time or talent to do sugar flowers like that. Maybe I can talk her into some nice silk florals. Good advice all around. Fingers crossed.

whatthedogate Posted 2 days ago
post #9 of 18

@sandrasmiley and @k8memphis thank you for all your advice. Here's the cake, minus the florals. I will put those on when I deliver. I am not very pleased with the good leaf but it is what it is. The florals will bring it to life. Oh my gosh never again with the gold leaf! Lol!Wedding Cake Question

post #10 of 18

@sandrasmiley and @k8memphis thank you for all your advice. Here's the cake, minus the florals. I will put those on when I deliver. I am not very pleased with the good leaf but it is what it is. The florals will bring it to life. Oh my gosh never again with the gold leaf! Lol!Wedding Cake Question

-K8memphis Posted 2 days ago
post #11 of 18

it's more than beautiful, you created a quietly magnificent work! yes gold foil is as weird as it is lovely, wait till the flowers go on!

SandraSmiley Posted 2 days ago
post #12 of 18

It is perfectly stunning!  I don't know why you aren't happy with it, looks perfect to me!  Oh yes, the flowers will bring it to life.

post #13 of 18

Aawahh. Thank you ladies. 

post #14 of 18

@sandrasmiley @k8memphis here she is. Phew! Thanks,ladies.Wedding Cake Question

SandraSmiley Posted 2 days ago
post #15 of 18

Absolutely stunning!  Much more beautiful than the original!  Pat yourself on the back!

-K8memphis Posted 1 day ago
post #16 of 18

wow gorgeous! you hit it out of the park! I know the b&g loved it 

whatthedogate Posted 1 day ago
post #17 of 18

Thank you! ❤️❤️❤️

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 day ago
post #18 of 18

Awesome!!  How stunning.   

Wondering where did you get the gold & how expensive was it?   

It’s been yrs since I needed any & it was in the hundred dollars range back then. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%