Very Moist Or Under Baked?

Baking By Carabella Updated 16 Oct 2020 , 4:54pm by SandraSmiley

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering if anyone can give me some advice  

I’ve been making cakes for my friends and family for many years now, not to sell, they just give me the ingredients or get me to buy them. This has been stumping me through out the years! Sometimes when I make mud cake, it tests clean but in the middle it can end being a little gooey in the middle. I baked a marble mud today. 9inch and it’s quite large. I had 2. They both cooked for a little under 2 hours. One was perfect and the other, a little gooey just in the middle. See it’s a very butter rich and moist cake so I’m not sure if it’s just extra shiny and moist or it’s not cooked! I cut out the little gooey part and filled it with an off cut. All these years when this happens, I’ve been eating it and every one has been fine but I’m covering this one with fondant to give to my sister to take to a party in a few days. Will it be safe to eat? It cooked at 150degrees Celsius for just under 2 hours. I did the skewer test and it came out with one or two crumbs, I also checked with a flat blades knife and it was clean and it had an internal temp of 98 degrees Celsius. If everything is indicating that it’s cooked, why the little gooey part?! Thank you so very much for your help. ( also, I stacked the 2 layers with ganache and also coated it in ganache ready for the fondant, it is very sturdy and stable ) 

14 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 15

Have you tried using baking cores or a flower nail in the middle of the pan to help conduct the heat more evenly?  For any cake over 8 inches, I always use them and as many as five in 14" pans.  They work nicely to help distribute the heat more evenly.  For 6 inch and 8 inches pans I would use only one core per pan.  Hope that helps.

Carabella Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 15

Hi! No I haven’t tried that but I will give it a go next time! Thank you

Carabella Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 15

My worry at the moment is safety . It was only a small part in the middle which I cut out ( and I ate! Lol! ) all the tests i did came out indicating it was cooked. I don’t know how to explain but it wasn’t wet batter just very moist. 

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 15

As to safety, I've eaten so much raw cake batter in my life that if it was very dangerous, I wouldn't be here, so I wouldn't worry about the safety too much.  (Someone is going to jump down my throat for that remark, but it is true.)  I have a couple of recipes that bake this way.  It would probably help you get a more even bake to use wet baking strips around the pans (forgot about those earlier) along with the heating core(s).  The baking strips slow down the baking on the edges, allowing the middle to bake nearer the same rate.  My chocolate cake recipe is the same and I always use the heating cores with them.

Carabella Posted 13 Oct 2020 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 15

Lol!!! Yes! Me too! I’m a fan of very moist cakes and I’ve eaten cake that I’ve had to re do because it was underbaked and it’s been fine  ( great with ice cream! ) Thank you so much for your advice, I will try them both next time. I’m just not sure if it’s just a mud cake thing? Even when I buy them from a cake store, they always look very moist and almost wet like. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 4:57am
post #7 of 15

If they test fine & what you bought looks wet/shiny then stop worrying about it Haha !   And I’d be 6ft under right along side Sandra if raw batter/cake was dangerous!!  

Carabella Posted 14 Oct 2020 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 15

Lol! Thank you! Sorry, I have generalised anxiety and OCD and it makes me worry excessively. This is probably why I couldn’t do it as a job, no matter how much I love it! I know most of the time what I’m doing but I always second guess myself. Thank you so much for your reassurance, it helps a lot : ) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 12:47am
post #9 of 15

the only mud type cake I remember ever making and I'm pretty sure it's nothing like the ones you are making -- is a texas sheet cake which a rose by any other name...would be a mississippi mud cake -- and those are maybe an inch or two deep, baked in a sheet pan --

but I am familiar with those pesky little wads inside some cakes -- my plan A would be to rebake -- but I sure have removed them and filled with other bits like you have -- 

so yes it is important to present the same texture throughout just like you said and do 

+1

Carabella Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 10:04am
post #10 of 15

I haven’t had a Mississippi mud cake before! I’m in Australia but I’ll have to keep my eye out for one! Our mudcakes here are around 3-5 inches high, depending on what you go for. Very decadent and moist, very yummy and are sturdy and hold well for over a week. The flavour just gets better! 

Yes, I just removed that bit as it was the only bit that was like that. I’ve already ganached the cake and covered it in fondant and it came out beautiful. The off cuts ( including the part that I cut out! ) tasted amazing! I love the sugary crust that forms on the top, yummm! 

I’m giving it to my sister n law tomorrow so I’m hoping all is well! 

Thank you for your help : ) 

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 15

-K8 is right, our Mississippi Mud Cake is nothing like what is known as Mud Cake in the UK and Australia.  It is, however, very yummy, sweet and decadent!

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/mississippi-mud-cake

Carabella Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 15

Oh wow! That’s looks really good! I need to try that! Thank you

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Oct 2020 , 1:07am
post #13 of 15

It is super rich, Carabella.  I like to eat it frozen.

Carabella Posted 16 Oct 2020 , 6:09am
post #14 of 15

That sounds even better! Adding some  ice cream of course! 

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Oct 2020 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 15

Haha, of course!  Adding ice cream would probably help cut the sweetness a little too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%