Good Caramel Mud Recipe?

Baking By Safandi Updated 15 Oct 2020 , 10:04pm by Carabella

Safandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Safandi Posted 6 Oct 2020 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 8

I've tried a few different caramel muds, but none of them really taste very caramelly. They're just sweet cakes with a hint of brown sugar. cry

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2020 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

I confess, being in the US, I am not familiar with mud cakes.  I hear of them all the time from my Brit friends, but I don't know what makes a cake a "mud" cake.  Sorry.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2020 , 2:44am
post #3 of 8

I did a search of mud cakes to see how they differ from any other cake.  According to what I read, I believe the *Original* WASC recipe would be a good basis for a caramel mud cake.  I also found this highly rated recipe:

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/caramel-mud-cake/ba48c9c7-9821-44e0-a336-8ce0e1488b9f

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, I’m from Australia so I’m very familiar with mud cake! ( eaten many too!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

oh yeah -- the golden syrup thing --  i don't think we get that product here exactly as england and australia do -- we have a substitute though but it might not be just right kwim -- one little thing can through off a recipe and you still can get a great cake but it's not like y'all's -- i've never tried to make one for that reason --

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

in the meantime here's some "mudcake for breakfast" -- wonder if there's a recipe, it'd prolly be americanized idk -- not widely read ~

https://www.amazon.com/Cake-Breakfast-Carolina-Arbors-Murder-ebook/dp/B07NKP684T/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mud-cake-for-breakfast&qid=1602782120&sr=8-1

-K8memphis Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 8

NINE authors and they only spit out 216 pages? wow

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 15 Oct 2020 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry! I posted a longer reply but it didn’t post, it seems to be playing up on me! 

I understand what you  it mean than the caramel mud recipes don’t taste like the rich decadent ones that you can buy. But someone told me that the secret is butterscotch schnapps! I don’t know how to do a link but if you go to queen.com.au you will find the recipe there. I haven’t tried this one but it looks good! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%