Storage Tins For 6" Cakes

Decorating By Anneliese671 Updated 27 Sep 2020 , 4:10pm by -K8memphis

Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 27 Sep 2020 , 3:57am
post #1 of 3

Hi there! I am getting ready to bake Christmas Fruit Cakes. You can see the ones I made last year - there are 8 I think in the photo. This year I am making probably 12-15. I make these cakes in November, cover them with cheesecloth, and place them in tins. Every week, I take them out to "feed" them some brandy. I wrap them back up, sometimes with a fresh cheesecloth, and back in the tin they go. It is not until about 5 days before Christmas that I cover them with homemade marzipan, and then a few days later, homemade fondant. They go to their new owners in nice sturdy boxes.

Now that I am increasing the number of cakes that I am making, I need more tins. Not for baking them, for storing them. I need tins that can fit a 6" x 4" uniced cake. It seems simple, but most "cake tin" searches result in Fat Daddios pans etc. The only reasonable ones I can find are cookie tins filled with cookies! Or sets of 3 in unusable sizes.

Does anyone have a source for cake storage tins, where I could get say 15, without cookies inside? Decorated or not doesn't matter, but it's always nice to have decorated with a Christmas theme ;)

Thank you for your help.Storage Tins For 6" Cakes

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2020 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 3

Considering the type cakes you are making, I am guessing you are in the UK.  I am in the US and we do not cover our fruitcakes with marzipan or fondant. The only tins I've seen for sale are not deep enough.  They are probably intended for cookies and are no more than 3" deep.  When soaking and aging my fruit cakes, I've always wrapped them in saturated paper towels or cheese cloth, then wrapped in plastic wrap and finished with a layer of aluminum foil.  Not very attractive for gifting!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Sep 2020 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 3

they are hard to find! the six inchers are usually only  1 13/16ths deep there's a 7 inch one in this link that is almost 3" deep -- but it's in the u.s. -- check with fruit and nut wholesalers -- we have those in the u.s. not sure if you guys do -- and paper goods wholesalers, and restaurant supply places -- 

https://atlanticcan.com/red-with-snowflakes-tin-collection/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%