How To Adhere Spheres/balls To Sides Of Cake? Help.

Decorating By Sunni_girl1 Updated 14 Sep 2020 , 10:21pm by -K8memphis

Sunni_girl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunni_girl1 Posted 13 Sep 2020 , 12:41am
post #1 of 6

Hello All,

I have a customer that is requesting a cake with spheres/balls adhered to the sides (see similar pics below).

I’m seeking some advice or suggestions on what I can make  the balls out and how to adhere them please.

Thank you in advance for any help you all can provide .

How To Adhere Spheres/balls To Sides Of Cake? Help.How To Adhere Spheres/balls To Sides Of Cake? Help.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2020 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 6

They can be made  as “cake balls”; solid fondant; Or  rice cereal treats, each covered in fondant.  I’m guessing treats would be better—Weight less.    Attach them w/melted chocolate; or Make as suckers w sticks which are pushed into the cake.  That might  work  Best for the lgr ones.  

You will not be able to reply to any post so just start a new post referring to this one in the subject line:)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2020 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 6

i think i would do as kakeladi said and if it was important to matchy matchy where some of the largest ones are floating, with nothing stacked under them i think i might try some half & whole chocolate spheres -- hollow ones --

they got so many cookies in the picture, i was trying to think of some kind of macaron that would work but hey how about those meringue things you bake -- so lightweight -- because some of them look like they are just half spheres -- and you could maybe bake them in something to get the right shape?? piping would work too -- they don't change in the oven as you can see with the stars they piped --

but i think too much -- although i would def try it myself -- should take the dusting of color pretty good -- and the smaller balls for the border & stuff just use fondant or pipe --

https://sugarspunrun.com/meringue-cookie-recipe/

-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2020 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 6

and scroll down the link to see her peppermint bark meringues! be still my beating heart stuck_out_tongue

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2020 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

I agree that meringues would be ideal for the larger balls or gelatin bubbles, made by dipping small inflated balloons into gelatin and letting it set up.  The gelatin becomes very strong and durable once dried and has the advantage of being super lightweight.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2020 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 6

yes gelatin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%