What Is Your Frosting Recipe?

Baking By Misskitty90 Updated 5 Sep 2020 , 1:32pm by jchuck

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 4 Sep 2020 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 11

How do you make your frosting for your cakes?  Do you have your recipes you can post.  I have used a recipe with shortening before and the frosting slid off my cake so I havent ever used that again.  Which recipe holds up the best? Thanks 

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Sep 2020 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

I use Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  There are a million recipes and how-to videos on the internet.  For American Buttercream, I use all butter, powdered sugar, water or cream, and extracts.  No recipe, just combine until I like the consistency.  Same thing with Cream Cheese Frosting, just add ingredients until I like the consistency and taste.  Ditto for chocolate or any other flavor.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:59am
post #3 of 11

This’d the one I have used for about 10 years ...  try it at least once ..  

<2 of EVERYTHING ICING>      

As posted it does NOT crust but a 'fix' is mentioned at the end along with how to make it into “cream cheese”  icing :) 

Ingredients

2 cups butter 

2 cups shortening *

2 pounds powdered sugar*

2 Tablespoons flavoring

2 generous shakes of salt shaker

*see notes below*

DIRECTIONS:

In KA mixer (best) mix together butter and shortening on medium speed with wire whip for 8-10minutes. Add about 1/3 of the sugar; mix 5-10 minutes; add another 1/3 of the sugar, along with the flavoring, mixing 5 minutes; add the remaining sugar and mix on low 10 minutes until smooth.

There is NO liquid needed in this recipe.    

Want this icing to crust? Reduce either the butter OR the shortening by 1 cup OR reduce *both* by 1/2 cup

*NOTES*:

*I have always used salted butter—but unsalted is good if you prefer. And even with the change in  shortenings a few yrs back I still use Crisco; any good brand hi-ratio will probably be better.  

* Flavorings can be *ANY!* combination you want. What I used mostly is: 1 part vanilla; 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond. A "Part" can be any measure you want. Do you make many, manyr cakes? Mix it up by the cupfull, pint or even gallon:)  OR if for only one cake/icing use teaspoons as the 'part'/measure.

• for an even stiffer icing that dries even more add up to 1 cup  more powdered sugar
  • For a shelf stable cream cheese tasting version simply add 2 Tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar with the 2nd addition of sugar.  (that tip comes from another baker friend)  

Misskitty90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misskitty90 Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 4:31am
post #4 of 11

Thanks kakeladi! I used a frosting with shortening in it and it fell off. Has this happened? Maybe my frosting wasnt stiff enough. It fell off when I traveled with it.  I have been afraid of using shortening ever since then in a frosting recipe.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 11

Icing can fall off a cake for many reasons. The car being to warm, cake not sitting stable, cake shifts, cake not being doweled properly. It’s usually not the actual icing.

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 11

Exactly what June said.   Most likely your icing was much too thin & the car too hot.   I have never had this icing slide off! The temps where I live can go well over 100 degrees F—expected for the next 3 days 111– yet when one knows how to handle/travel with cake I’ve not had any problems.   When it is hot freeze the cake for at least a couple of hours then have the air conditioning blasting as you carefully drive   Make “cool box” to transport them all kinds of ideas 

kakeladi Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 11

Exactly what June said.   Most likely your icing was much too thin & the car too hot.   I have never had this icing slide off! The temps where I live can go well over 100 degrees F—expected for the next 3 days 111– yet when one knows how to handle/travel with cake I’ve not had any problems.   When it is hot freeze the cake for at least a couple of hours then have the air conditioning blasting as you carefully drive   Make “cool box” to transport them all kinds of ideas 

jchuck Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 11

Yup...  ^^^^^^^^ what kakeladi posted above. I only had a icing slide once....totally my fault. Inexperience. Didn’t dowel my cake, cake shifted...el slidedo!!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 11

Here is Sedar Yener's Portable Cooler video, which I've shared about a million times because it is a life saver!  The only thing I do differently is have my box open on one side instead of on top.  Makes it easy to slide the cake in and out.

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 11

I use the portable cooler even in winter.  It gives me much more confidence and has never failed me.

jchuck Posted 5 Sep 2020 , 1:32pm
post #11 of 11

Yes and Avalon cakes also has a portable “cooler” for cakes. A couple of my pro cake friends have made and use. Says it’s been a game changer delivering in hot humid weather.  https://avaloncakesschool.com/delivery-box/ 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%