Cake Figures & Toppers

Decorating By Jsscgrnwll Updated 15 Aug 2020 , 12:07am by kakeladi

Jsscgrnwll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsscgrnwll Posted 13 Aug 2020 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 3

I’m beginning my own Cottage Food cake business out of my home. This may be a silly question, but one thing I can’t figure out- As far as cake toppers and figures/characters go, who is usually responsible for those? Does the client purchase them on their own and bring them to the baker, or does the baker go out and purchase said figures/topper and that price is added to the total of the cake? I’d appreciate some feedback, what you have done, what’s expected...etc. Thank you! 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2020 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Jsscgrnwll,  I am a hobby baker, so only do limited orders for customers.  Personally, I have always made fondant or modeling chocolate figures, just because I wanted to, not because I think that is better.  I do have lots of friends who are professionals and they do it both ways.  It depends upon whether the customer prefers to supply the topper or if they would like for you to take care of purchasing.  In some cases, you may not have time to order a particular topper and it would be up to the customer.  Often times the client picks up the cake and adds the topper at home.  It doesn't matter as long as you work it out with your customer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2020 , 12:07am
post #3 of 3

Exactly what Sandra said.   Most of my decorating was done some 30 yrs ago with most choosing to provide their own .  If you make fondant/gumpaste figures charge for them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%