Cracked Royal Icing

Decorating By N.ga2027 Updated 10 Aug 2020 , 3:29pm by kakeladi

N.ga2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
N.ga2027 Posted 8 Aug 2020 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

Please help! I’m new to cake decorating and I have a cake order due tomorrow morning. I covered the cake in fondant and used a royal icing drip over it. I let it sit over night to dry and while transporting the cake, the Royal icing cracked in several areas. Is there any way to fix this??? Can I use water on dried Royal icing to try and smooth it out? Or am I just out of luck w this??? Maybe I should use petal dust on the cracks and make it look like it’s supposed to be like that??? Cracked Royal Icing

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2020 , 5:33am
post #2 of 4

So sorry no one was available to help u.   I’m not sure but I would try it.   Hopefully I’m not too late:(    Use an art brush just barely wet — I don’t want it to drip.   

Sounds like your base board isn’t thick enough so the cake flexed .   Next  double your board or use a cage drum 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2020 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 4

Personally, I would leave it alone.  The cracking is relatively insignificant and only another cake decorator would ever notice it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2020 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 4

To know this is to late but I’m just now seeing the pic... in future don’t use royal icing .  Canned b’cream is a much better choice.  And as I said put the cake on a stronger board.  

Let us know how it went.  What, if anything, did you do — inquiring minds want to know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%