Re: Decorating Pineapple Cake Advice

Decorating By Karamakescakes Updated 5 Aug 2020 , 10:50pm by SandraSmiley

Karamakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karamakescakes Posted 5 Aug 2020 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 2

Ugh! I cant post my reply to my own post. This stinks! HAHA Here is my reply to SandraSmiley

Thanks for the reply! I really like the idea of using royal icing! I’ve only tried it once with a cake and it turned out ok. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it HAHA

SO I went back and re-read the description of the contest and it turns out it’s not really a decorating contest. You can make any kind of cake any which way and upload a picture of you with the cake and it’s just an ENTRY into a raffle for a prize! One entry per username. I am a bit disappointed as this doesn’t mean how beautiful or creative your cake is, you stand just as much of a chance as someone who just poured a cake into a pan, left it in the pan, used stored bought canned frosting, threw some sprinkles on it and called it good. One lady has already uploaded several pictures of her cakes. She’s a professional cake decorator with her own business. Its got her business logo and hashtags all over her entry. I guess it’s lucky that’s its one entry per username and talent doesn’t get you ahead haha I wouldn’t stand a chance up against someone who decorates cakes for a living.

I think I will go ahead and attempt this cake pictured as I would like the practice. I will try making royal icing for the eyes and mouth. Do you think royal icing would work for the green topper as well? At this point since effort doesn’t get you anywhere, I may go ahead and use green construction paper! LOL

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2020 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 2

That is disappointing, Kara, that it is a raffle instead of a true contest.  I agree, you should take this opportunity to create something fun and a little out of your comfort zone.  That is how we grow.

I don't think royal icing would work for the top.  Since you are going to try this to challenge yourself, maybe you should go ahead and give fondant or gum paste a try.  You can buy very small packs at Walmart inexpensively.  If you don't have Tylose or Gum Trex, though, you will need a few days for it to firm up before putting on the cake.  That being said, the paper would work fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%