Can I Make Smbc Sweeter?

Baking By saadi Updated 4 Aug 2020 , 8:34pm by jchuck

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 10

Ive made SMBC a couple times and i have a real bad sweet tooth and feel like its not that sweet lol Is it possible to sweeten it a little more? Can I add more sugar or would I have to increase other ingredients too? Very beginner cake maker/decorator here so Im not sure. I really want to like smbc sweat_smile 

9 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Aug 2020 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 10

There is a ratio of egg whites to sugar when making smbc. Depending on how much sugar you want to add, you would definitely have to add more egg whites. I’m sure you could add an extra 1/4 cup without too much of an issue. Funny, I actually decrease the amount of sugar because I find smbc too sweet.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Aug 2020 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 10

You could make it a bit sweeter by adding confections sugar after it is whipped, but it would make a more firm icing.  If you love a really sweet buttercream, why not use American buttercream made with all butter?

saadi Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 3:57am
post #4 of 10

So that’s usually what I use but I’ve heard and seen how beautiful SMBC pipes. I’m trying to decide whether I should stick with ABC or give SMBC a few chances and see if I end up liking the taste. Lol I think maybe that sounds weird...

jchuck Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 10

No saddi That’s not weird at all. The first time I made smbc, it was actually too “buttery” tasting for me. That’s all I could taste!!! I have rarely made smbc on it’s own, without doctoring the icing. I either add some royal icing, or ermine icing, or ganache. So basically it’s a 50/50 icing. I find, for me anyway, that this balances out the too sweet/ too buttery issues. And for me, the additions help the icing to both pipe better, and set up/crust faster. Often times I reduce butter by 1/4 cup, and sugar 1/2-1 cup when I make smbc. 

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 10

I don't think you have to worry too much about throwing the ratio out of whack.  I have seen many recipes that have anywhere from 6 whites to 2 cups of sugar, or 9 whites to 2 cups of sugar, or 6 whites to 1 1/2 cups sugar.  

The recipe I've used forever is 10 whites to 14 oz sugar.  I cut out probably a cup of sugar from the original recipe because I didn't want it as sweet.  I added a 1/2 cup or so of powdered sugar to the meringue after it is cooled down before I add the butter. I messed around with my recipe until I got it the way I liked. 

I think you could increase the sugar, or add powdered sugar to it and just experiment.  SMBC is a lot more forgiving than people think.  

saadi Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 10

Oh thank you! I may try adding the PS To the meringue lime you mentioned

jchuck Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10

rychevamp It’s so true. The first time I made smbc, I was a wreck thinking I was going to screw everything up!!!!! Ha Ha. It was a Martha Stewart recipe, which buy the way, I didn’t like, and never made again. I didn’t like the consistency, so when I removed from the fridge, I re-whipped and added some icing sugar. Was much better after that. Even so, was too much butter for me in the recipe. After several years of experience, like you, I know I can play with the recipe a bit to get what I like. 

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 10

Quote by @jchuck on 49 minutes ago

rychevamp It’s so true. The first time I made smbc, I was a wreck thinking I was going to screw everything up!!!!! Ha Ha. It was a Martha Stewart recipe, which buy the way, I didn’t like, and never made again. I didn’t like the consistency, so when I removed from the fridge, I re-whipped and added some icing sugar. Was much better after that. Even so, was too much butter for me in the recipe. After several years of experience, like you, I know I can play with the recipe a bit to get what I like. 

Yeah, I never understood why SMBC is so scary. It's an emulsion, but, it's mostly controlled by temperature.  The colder it is, the firmer it is, and vice versa.  If it breaks, just let it mix and warm it a little and it will eventually come back together.  I have also found that if it starts to emulsify before all the butter is in, you may not need all the butter.  I just leave it out then.  I would think additional sugar would just make the meringue stiffer, so that's not really going to affect it that much.  I like the addition of powdered sugar ( I didn't think I would), but I think it helps stabilize, and also makes the texture nicer.  

Some of the first things I learned to make in pastry school was IMBC and SMBC, and I'm talking about a 60qt mixer.  I keep telling people don't freak out when you make it, it will be fine.  Just tweak the recipe until you are happy with it.  I mostly use SMBC, I like IMBC a lot, but the whole sugar syrup thing (especially if you have a safety cage on the mixer) is more trouble than I want to deal with, especially with a large batch.

jchuck Posted 4 Aug 2020 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 10

I follow a Canadian cake decorator on YouTube. She found the sweet spot for the temperature of your whipped egg whites/sugar mixture. Can’t recall the temperature off the top of my head. She uses a infrared thermometer, but a good meat thermometer will work too. Once you’re mixture has reached the correct temp, you have no difficulty adding the butter. Will be trying this little trick next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%