Sugar Paste Vs Fondant - Help For Beginner Please!

Decorating By Evelyn_Ka Updated 29 Jul 2020 , 2:23pm by SandraSmiley

Evelyn_Ka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evelyn_Ka Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 5:31am
post #1 of 2

Hi! I am a complete beginner, and I need to have a sculpted cake topper in a car shape for a baby boy cake ready in 48 hours!!!!! Do I use a fondant or sugar paste? How much time should I expect this to dry before it is ready to be placed on a cake? Will sugar paste and 24 hrs to dry be enough? It is not going to be a big car, just the size of a palm of a woman's hand approximately. Any gel icing colors will work? Any tips on storage and transportation? Thank you so much in advance! 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 2

This is tricky.  Sugar paste drys a lot faster than fondant, but it is not as forgiving when trying to model something like a car, because it does dry very quickly. Fondant offers more working time, but is really soft.  I recommend using fondant with a bit of Tylose added for strength and to help it dry more quickly.  Also, since you need it in a short time, I suggest using Rice Krispy Treats or a piece of styrofoam for the center/base.  The fondant will not be as thick and will set up a lot faster than a solid blob of fondant.

If you are unable to reply to this post, start a new one and refer back to this post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%