Mod. Choc/gumpaste

Sugar Work By KatyN Updated 21 Apr 2021 , 10:59pm by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 23 Jul 2020 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I need to cut pieces that will be study and not lose their shape.  I tried to use Modeling Chocolate, no go.

I purchased some gumpaste and was going to try for a mixture as I read that it works well

Then I found this.  It doesn’t look promising with the mixture. 

https://www.mybluprint.com/article/mixing-fondant-modeling-chocolate

Any thoughts on what’s the best medium(s) to use?

Thanks!

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jul 2020 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

What are you trying to make, KatyN?  It will be easier to offer a constructive answer if I understand your goal.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 24 Jul 2020 , 12:26am
post #3 of 6

Oh, sure!

I’m constructing a bridge.  So I’ll need it for everything, the legs will be secured with larger pieces of the same medium and royal icing.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jul 2020 , 1:31am
post #4 of 6

If I were making a bridge, I would use pastillage, which is much stronger than modeling chocolate, fondant, or gum paste.  It's strength and durability are its advantages, it drys much faster than other mediums is it's disadvantage.  If you don't want to use pastillage, I would suggest gum paste and give it ample time to thoroughly dry.  Personally, I would not build a bridge without some sort of internal support, probably heavy gauge wire.

Here is the recipe and how to make pastillage:

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 6

Sedar Yener has launched a commercial line of his pastillage.  I can't wait until it reaches the USA.  Pastillage is the only thing that makes me nervous, although I have made and used it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%