Issues With Duncan Hines Lately.

Baking By dianecroweus Updated 25 Jun 2020 , 9:26pm by jchuck

dianecroweus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianecroweus Posted 19 Jun 2020 , 8:56am
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

Esp dates 10-20 through 10-30 on the box.  Mix up very runny after following box directions, won't ride, and cracks when baking.  Would love to see if others are having the same issue.

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jun 2020 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 11

I never use cake mixes straight from the box as directed, but I use them often in the WASC recipe and have had no issues.  In case you are not familiar the White Almond Sour Cream recipe is a doctored cake mix.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2020 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 11

Ditto what she said ^^^   Here’s link to the recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2020 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 11

Sometimes you will never know what the problem is.  The company will not admit there is one:(   In the past I have called about problems and was told I was the only complaint received but talking to other decorators many had same/similar experience.   

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 11

They  all changed their formulas back when box size decreased. I believe they added more leavening to get the same volume out of less mix. I also think they are probably using cheaper ingredients. If you smell the cake mix when you open it, it doesn't even smell like cake mix used to. I've called, emailed and written all of them with my disgust, all they do is send a coupon for the crappy mix! The ONLY cake mix I've found that's the same is Jiffy. It's the only one that I get a successful strawberry cake out of. Two boxes equal what the old cake mix used to be (18.25 oz)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 11

I didn't even know Jiffy made cake mixes???  

MamaGeese Posted 23 Jun 2020 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 11

Yes, they come in only little 9 oz boxes. They only have white and yellow, but it's the only mix that still seems like the old mixes. I found if I use 2 boxes of white, and follow the Triple Decker Strawberry Cake, it turns out very well. It works well with the WASC recipe too. 

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 25 Jun 2020 , 2:03am
post #8 of 11

I use  Duncan  Hines. The vanilla doesn't seen to rise like the chocolate and yellow does. When baking cakes  8"  I get a good dome on the yellow and chocolate and only a slight one for vanilla.  I fuss every Tuesday morning, you all probably  hear me,  when I'm doing vanilla cupcakes as they don't rise like the other flavors. I use 1 box for  each 8". I've never heard of Jiffy cake mix  so I'll have to check it out.

MamaGeese Posted 25 Jun 2020 , 2:31am
post #9 of 11

It may be hard to find, but you can get it on Amazon. It's not as good as the old mixes used to be, but it does perform pretty well  with some of the doctored up cake mix recipes. Wish they had more flavors. I remember the old days when I did so many cake using mixes as a base and they were wonderful. Now they're awful.

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 25 Jun 2020 , 2:36am
post #10 of 11

I’ve also had a few issues with runny batter although the last one I baked was fine. FYI, Jiffy cake mixes have been around since at least the 60’s

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Jun 2020 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 11

I’d forgotten all about Jiffy mixes. My parents spent there winters in Texas. I’m Canadian. Mom would bring back boxes of  Jiffy cakes and cornbread for her daughter’s. Mom would buy on sale, and pile them up instead there trailer.  I loved the cornbread mix. I would doctor sometimes by adding some cream corn.  And the small cake mixes were perfect for a quick small cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%