Chocolate Airbrushing

Decorating By KatyN Updated 16 Jun 2020 , 11:47pm by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 7:30am
post #1 of 8

I was gifted an airbrush machine, getting ready to break it out!

I can’t seem to find any info on whether the colors used for airbrushing fondant & buttercream would work for airbrushing chocolate.  I don’t think so. But can’t find anything about it.

Does anyone know?  

Thanks

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8

I’m not understanding you want to airbrush chocolate? But w/being dark brn the color won’t show:(   Also I never tried it but I don’t think the color will adhere to cho because of its finish being glossy—it would be like spraying on shortening.   Maybe try spreading a bit of the chocolate on a piece of paper & airbrush it    Let us know the results:) 

KatyN Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, it’s going to be white chocolate! :)

I’ll let you all know what happens! 

Quote by @kakeladi on 56 minutes ago

I’m not understanding you want to airbrush chocolate? But w/being dark brn the color won’t show:(   Also I never tried it but I don’t think the color will adhere to cho because of its finish being glossy—it would be like spraying on shortening.   Maybe try spreading a bit of the chocolate on a piece of paper & airbrush it    Let us know the results:) 

KatyN Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 8

I knew there was a voice in the back of my head for a reason!

Regular colors are water based and that won't work - and I'm not going to try cocoa butter.

I'm going to make it easier on myself and color the chocolate before forming the shape. I'm going to get some different color melts and some colorings and get as close to steel as I can.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2020 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 8

KatyN, I've recently been talking with another poster about this same subject.  Most of it was in a private message, because she was not able to reply to her own question.  She wanted to know if she could use some sort of oil based colors in the airbrush to spray ganache.  I've never heard of oil based airbrush colors and do not think they would work.  

I've airbrushed my chocolate models with water based colors and it works just fine for my purposes, but might not be uniform enough for a cake.  This sculpture (modeling chocolate) was a medium gray and was airbrushed with a redish brown and black.  Since it was supposed to look like a bronze sculpture, the irregular color worked, but you can sort of see how it wanted to bead up a little.Chocolate Airbrushing

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 8

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 8

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2020 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%