Organizing/storing Your Equipment

Business By PanBrown Updated 31 May 2020 , 8:07pm by -K8memphis

PanBrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PanBrown Posted 29 May 2020 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 8

I guess a lot of us have been cleaning out our pantries, closets, cabinets etc during this stay-at-home time, and I would really like to hear how you all organize and store your equipment, including round, square, rectangular, springform, molded cake and bread pans, muffin pans, baking sheets, parchment, muffin liners, cake boards, cake and pie boxes and carriers, cookie cutters and cookie tins,  pie-making equipment such as rolling pins, pie crust shields, and of course, decorating bags and tips, color gels etc.    Not to mention all my cookbooks and recipe notes.  I feel overwhelmed.   I seriously need a room dedicated just for my baking.   Are there particular storage containers you really find helpful?  Or types of shelves?  Do you label shelves or bins?  Do you have a clever way you hang up your Nordic Ware bundt pans so that you can see them all at a glance?  Do you have an inventory listing how many cake boards you have for example?  I obviously don't have an organization gene in my DNA.  Thanks for sharing your advice.

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 May 2020 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

I am sorry that I cannot help!  I have cake pans and cake boards in a spare room upstairs, piping tips and other small decorating tools in boxes stacked under my dining room table, everything else stacked and crammed into cabinets.........oh, and a whole closet full of plastic containers (like cake boxes, pie carriers, etc.) in the upstairs hallway!  Hopeless!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2020 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 8

Not that it helps much but I remember someone saying they kept cake mixes in their dryer:)   Any & every cupboard was pressed into duty  Pan lid racks help corral pans  

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 31 May 2020 , 1:45am
post #4 of 8

I wrap all my cake pans in plastic wrap by 2, 2-8"or 2 -10" and so on. They stay clean and together. Cake mixes and 2 lb sugar are put in large  clear plastic containers with lids from Walmart. Health Dept approves of this. Cake boards , boxes and cupcake containers  are bought by the case. Large plastic shelves from Lowe's for store room. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 8

Organizing/storing Your EquipmentI had a couple of these for food color, dusts, all the small stuff, tubes, parchment, plus glue gun, tools —

pans I kept on a big plastic shelving unit like was mentioned already  — I also kept pans above & below my oven — and on a speed rack — then I had a wooden shelving unit for boards, ribbon, turntable, all the rest ~

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8

it’s sideways — grr —

but yeah after I thinned them out I had a very large, prolly 2or3 gallon size clear glass container I kept cookie cutters in — 

and I had tons of sets of the concentric or is it eccentric (ha!) cookie cutters in the little tins — circles, hearts, stars, etc — those were in their own container on the wood shelves — had my airbrush in another container there — y’all air brush colors in another tub...

foam cutting tools in one of the drawers then in their own plastic tub — 

rolling pins on the wood shelves, a lot of this was kept wrapped up — all the gum paste cutters and flower making paraphernalia were in the seven drawer units — as were pillars, dowels, etc —

the small jars of colors I kept in a grid like thing inside the drawer of those units and I wrote on the top so I could find them — same with dusts — 

I *kept tubes in the drawer on a thin sheet of foam — I stuck toothpicks in so I could keep them organized and they didn’t fall over when the drawer was pulled out — for colors, dusts and tubes I could pull out the whole drawer and set it on my worktable if I needed to ~ 

the good ole’days 

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 8

*not y’all — tall air brush colors, 16 oz size I think

can you believe my autocorrect changes tall to y’all — agh!

-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2020 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 8

oh yeah, sugar making equipment and molds were in the drawers, other molds and stencils and lace making stuff and texture sheets were in drawers — 

I’m doing a walk down memory lane here —

oh and chocolate molds were in their own basket...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%