Best Cake Stand/turntable

Decorating By irislady Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm by PattiCake1960

irislady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irislady Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 26

I just started my first Wilton course last night. The instructor was VERY nice and helpful. She said we will need a turntable but that she wasn't very happy with the Wilton tip/turn style she had because it wobbles quite a bit. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that is as useful without the wobble? Are there other brands of cake decorating supplies I should be checking out?

Also she uses an ingredient called PS 99 as a shortening substitute. Where would I find this? THANKS irislady

25 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 26

I think Countrykitchensa .com has a fairly reasonable turntable that is rectangular in shape.Many cake decoraters have that one!! I bought mine from Winbeckler.com.It is rectangular and stainless steel and really heavy...especially for the larger slab cakes.It was quite costly though at $85.00 and many here will tell you it isn't worth the money...but it was the best money I ever spent on a cake decorating tool!!! thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 26

Hi irislady,

Welcome irislady to CC...our big addiction icon_cry.gif

When I took the Courses, I just brought the regular $10.99 table. You should be able to get a discount since you are a student.

Here, on the forum, alot of the people were very dissatisfied with the tilt turntable.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 26

Hey Irislady--

I also have the heavy professional Wilton turntable and it does wobble. Begged for it at Christmas and now never use it. I do use the plastic turntable from Wilton all the time. I just place a non-skid material on top of it and it works like a charm. HTH

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 26

I use the Ateco turntable. Very sturdy and smooth and it has the non-skid liner already. I use it every time I decorate.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 26

i like to use the big wooden lazy susan available at ikea. it's sturdy, can handle a lot of weight, and my kitchen countertop is high enough that i don't need the extra height that a pedestal-type turntable provides. it costs about $10 CAD, $7 USD, i think.

ooo, picture attached. (note: there is sufficent space under the platform for your fingers to turn it comfortably).
LL

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 26

I thought it was just me!!!! I have the Wilton also. I think I'll be going to Ikea this weekend!!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 26

OMG...we have access to those big old pedestal turntables at school...and guess what?

I STILL prefer my little plastic 10 dollar one from Wilton!

I even put display cakes on them,and if I lose them I'm not so bummed out that I can't go out and buy another.

there is a LOT of equipment that you cannot live without...a lot of equipment that's mandatory...and a bunch more that is totally NOT needed!..lol

I have a piece of slab that I plop on top of my little Wilton turntable to do my sheets..it works just fine!

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 26

I have the flat $10 Wilton version some of the others are referring to. I usually put it on top of a cake stand to give me some added height when decorating, and it works beautifully.

The flat one doesn't take up much cabinet space at all, and I know that's a concern with some of the bigger models.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 26

I have the one that is rectangular one one side and then flips to circle on the other side. Love it. About $35

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 26

I have the Wilton one with the stand. I t works great with round cakes, but with the sheet cakes I have to lay a cookie tray on top of it to keep the cake from arching.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:53am
post #12 of 26

Kiddiekakes,
I have that same stainless rectangular one and I LOVE IT!!! I got it for my birthday this year. My favorite item as well!!!

I have heard from lots of people that the tilting turntable is dangerous!

I have the small round plastic one from Wilton too. Only used it about 3 times. Most of my cakes are large and I just didn't think it was large enough in diameter to support my cakes.

Leslie

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:08am
post #13 of 26

I love my little plastic Wilton turntable, although I've been thinking about saving up for a rectangular one (that list just gets longer and longer...)

I, too, just put a cookie sheet on top for larger cakes, although I've found that I don't feel comfortable icing anything larger than about 14" on it. Oh well.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:28am
post #14 of 26

I should have added that the small round turntable is great for class!

I couln't lug my big one into a class. The small one is perfect!

Leslie

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 26

Until last week I'd been using Wilton's wobbly little $12 special -- http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C9FB-475A-BAC0-5AA7B0C914A78FA9&fid=3E32BB0D-475A-BAC0-5260F6656CC28C60

I finally got fed up with all the wobbling and splurged the 50 bucks at the local restaraunt supply store for a real turntable. I am amazed at the night/day difference between the two. The ultra-smooth turning of the new one will speed things up considerably. icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:12pm
post #16 of 26

I also have the one that flips from round to rectangular and really do like it, it really does turn smoothly, but sometimes I just use an old Rubbermaid one (it is 13" so there is plenty of room) rather than pull out the flip/flop one, it is pretty heavy. Janice

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 26

I'm so glad this post came up! Tomorrow I was going to Michael's to purchase the Wilton Pedestal Turntable with my 60% off coupon. Think I'll hold off on that one! I have an old wooden turn table that I have been using. I think maybe I'll just stick with that for awhile. I was just thinking that if I purchased the pedestal turn table it might make it a little easier trying to write on, or decorate the side of a cake.

veejaytx Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 26

You are right, Price, getting the cake up at eye level, or at least in arm's reach helps a lot. We have a member here on CC that shared her idea a while back of putting a sturdy bucket (bottomside up) under her flat turntable, said it worked fine. Maybe you could try that until you decide which "pro" turntable you would prefer. HTH Janice

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:38pm
post #19 of 26

Thanks for the bucket idea. I'll try it next time I need to write on the side. I'm sure it will definitely help! thumbs_up.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 8:09pm
post #20 of 26

Has anyone ever tried an electric turntable yet? I've seen them, thought about buying one that has a variable speed setting but I'm not sure I really want to invest that kind of money yet.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 9:24pm
post #21 of 26

I can see it now at my house. I would sling the cake off and my walls would have that "textured" look. HA! HA!

veejaytx Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 9:44pm
post #22 of 26

I don't know if I would sling cake, but I have a feeling I would sling icing...instead of borders I'd have strips and blobs! Janice

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 10:02pm
post #23 of 26

I use a big 14 inch lazy susan as well. I thought about buying a professional turn table, but why mess with perfection? If I want to do a larger slab cake, I have a peice of plywood that I set on top of it and it works just fine, especially if I put some of that non-slide stuff between the wood.

Debbi

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 7:00am
post #24 of 26

Funny how the Wilton instructors show you everything in the store. I wonder if they get paid more the more the students buy. As stated on the Wilton site, WMIs are not Wilton employees but rather store Employees. Interesting.

Anywho my brother made my mom a turntable a while ago and She never uses it. So she gave it to me and it works great. I wanted that tilt turntable but with my luck the cake will be on the floor.

Princess

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 13 Oct 2005 , 2:51pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Funny how the Wilton instructors show you everything in the store. I wonder if they get paid more the more the students buy. As stated on the Wilton site, WMIs are not Wilton employees but rather store Employees. Interesting.

Interesting is right. Reminds me of the one (and only) Wilton class that I took at one of our local stores. The list of required supplies was about a mile long and most of those items weren't even mentioned, let alone used in class. It does make you wonder... I know I did!

PattiCake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattiCake1960 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #26 of 26

DiH..so which $50 turntable did you find at the local restaurant supplier and do you like it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%