Box Cake Mix?

Decorating By letamarita Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 4:59pm by Loucinda

letamarita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letamarita Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:01am
post #1 of 12

Which is cake mix is better when Baking a cake, out of a box, or home-made? Which is holds better when having to cut and shape? Does it even matter?? Please let me know your recomendations! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!!!!

11 replies
alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:10am
post #2 of 12

Some people bad mouth cake mix, but I always get rave compliments. I don't understand why I would want to go through the hassle of making a cake from scratch. I've heard some scratch recipies aren't as moist. I am sure there are lots of ways to make them moist, but I just add a little oil, water and eggs and it just is!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:14am
post #3 of 12

For the most part I use box mixes as well - always Duncan Hines Supreme and people never believe that it starts with a box. I do make carrot and a few other cakes from scratch, but am really happy with the enhanced boxed cakes where you add pudding to make a pound cake.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:22am
post #4 of 12

There have been many threads on this subject and most, if not all of them, have gotten locked because tempers have flared.

There are those that swear by mixes and others who bake from scratch.

As long as you are honest with your clients use whatever produces the best product.

Keep in mind that some companies package their mixes on lines that come in contact with milk or nuts. This might be something your clients would want to know if someone in their family has nut or milk allergies.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:23am
post #5 of 12

This subject has been hotly debated many times here. It comes down to personal preference. My personal preferences: (I doctor all box mixes)

BC for white cakes
DH for chocolate cakes
homemade carrot cake

I do not like any flavored box mix (such as strawberry, banana, etc.) because I can detect a heavy chemical taste in them. I'll use BC white and flavor it myself with ice cream, fruit, puree, etc. if I want a flavored cake.

I find that scratch cakes taste better the day they're made, but they tend to be dry, and get drier over time. Preservatives in the box mixes do help to maintain freshness and keep bacteria levels down. Simple syrups can help keep scratch cakes a bit more moist, but I've never been totally happy with the results.

Also, people seem to be used to the box flavor/texture.

I've spent the last one-plus years experimenting with different recipes/diasters. Play around a bit and see what you, and others, like the best. I'm still experimenting, though.

Be prepared for other members here to be passionate about their preferences!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:57am
post #6 of 12

For carving and shaping you need to use a cake that is more dense.

Box mix, scratch is a personal preference as to the taste, how much control over ingredients you want, and experimentation to see what works best for you.

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:04am
post #7 of 12

i like to use the betty crocker moist deluxe cake mix, then i use the "durable cake receipe" that someone gave me on cc. I get loads of compliments and find that it's much easier to carve and shape than the box mix by itself. it's aslo super moist.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:55am
post #8 of 12

99% of my cakes start from a mix. I always doctor them, but the mix is the base. It helps guarantee a great outcome everytime! I have always gotten rave reviews on all of my cakes and see no reason to mess with scratch cakes. (and if anyone comes to me and tells me they have any allergies, I do NOT make their cake - I tell them sorry, you'll have to go elsewhere - not a big deal here)

Now, there are 3 cakes I will make from scratch - a red cake, a carrot cake, and a granny cake. That is it.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:24am
post #9 of 12

What's a granny cake????

billiesbakerydelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiesbakerydelight Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:23am
post #10 of 12

I always use duncan Hines moist deluxe box mix. I love them. also, i have found that if i use extra virgin olive oil, instead of veg. oil or corn oil, it comes out moist, and freezes very well. I use yellow, red velvet, chocolate, white cake mix directly out of the box. I also have a 4yr old that loves to help, so this allows him to help mommy bake the cake and gets him out of my hair! usaribbon.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 12

So Billie! You just use the box and the only difference you do is use evoo instead of veg or corn oil? That's it and it's just as yummy? I love evoo...cook with it all the time. Sometimes...I don't know if it's the brand or what but there's a wierd aftertaste with the evoo. Have you ever encountered that in your cakes? Thanks!

icon_rolleyes.gif Anyone know what a granny cake is?????

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 12

Granny cake is kind of like an americanized version of Tres Leches - I think I submitted the recipe to the recipe section here....nope, I just checked and it isn't here. I will submit the recipe I use (it uses sweetened condensed milk in the sauce, NOT evaporated milk like the recipes that are posted for it)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%