Help Working With Satin Ice

Decorating By carilyn Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm by melysa

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 8

I am working on a cake for feb. This will be my first big fondant cake 6,9,12. Anyway I was playing with a 6 inch cake and couldn't get the fondant rolled thin enough so when I put it on the cake it was hard to work and got dried out and started cracking. I previously work this 6 inch round with mmf and no problems ( I think I put it in the micro for a few seconds before working with).
If anyone can offer any tips at all to working with satin ice and larger layers I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance,
carilyn

7 replies
Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 8

Well I only use Satin Ice and I alway use some cristco shorting and it helps to keep it from drying out.....It is hard to roll out but just make sure you have shorting on your plastic pad and your rolling pin....... HTH and GL

Autumn

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 8

One thing that helps me is to knead in a little shortening after mixing in the color. This helps restore it's "suppleness" before rolling it out.

Courtney

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

i use satin ice and i love it.

it always helps to kneed the fondant first with a small amount of crisco on it and my hands, the warmth from your hands will soften it up and i find it is very easy to roll out.

i also use veg shortening on my work surface, hands and roller, and it wont stick. i dont even have to do the quarter turns and lifts as i roll. i usually roll it to about 1/4 inch easily and the crisco helps to keep its soft pliability.

i've only been working with fondant for a few months and find that it just takes a little practice, but it really isnt that difficult if you take the right steps.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with everyone else, but don't microwave this fondant, it ruins fast! It's just working it until it's soft, and then it works really well.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 8

This is good to know since I plan to try satin ice

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 8

Have any of you tried putting your fondant in the KitcheAid bowl and using the dough hook to knead in the little extra Crisco? I was just wondering if it would work, and it would save your hands and arms the stress of kneading.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

that would be more work for me ...it takes me about a minute or less to kneed it, but about 2 minutes to set up my mixer and another 5-10 minutes to wash and put it all away! i just put on my gloves and squish it up like play doh for a moment, then roll it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%