No Longer Cake Central... But Spam Central!

Lounge By ReginaCoeliB Updated 19 May 2020 , 1:47pm by SandraSmiley

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 5 May 2020 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 25

I do not know who is in charge... the boat is sinking. But I remain here, with all of you lovely ladies. I just wanted to say hello... I have been busy with homeschool and gardening...But still alive! I'm glad to read your messages in the other posts and to know that you are ok in the midst of this calamity. Stay safe, God bless!

24 replies
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 May 2020 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 25

We are just on the life raft and off the boat Regina!!  Glad you are doing well!  I am also working from home with distractions! But I do like to check in when I can. 

It seems we all just start a new thread to say hello and keep the spammers threads from overrunning the place!  But we are losing lol!

Be well!

Theresa

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2020 , 12:57am
post #3 of 25

Nice to see you are well   After delivering 1/2 dzn sweet breads today did some shopping before Baking some more   This time they are lemon basil & lemony zucchini loaves   Next on line will be banana bread  All my baking is done in a toaster oven  —-funsville NOT!   

ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 May 2020 , 1:31am
post #4 of 25

Kekeladi you did what? How come do you have so much energy?... I'm depleted! Could you pass the recipe, sounds yum for breakfast? Well I have not been able to find flour for the last four weeks... But still have some in storage.. rationing is set in place in this house! By the way why do you bake in a toaster oven? i'm attaching a picture of how my mom brews coffee. Keep in mind, this is Venezuela, where there have been rationing everything for the last 10 years. She says it takes 45 minutes to brew a 2oz cup. Do you think things are bad here... think twice!

Thanks ladies for your reply. Stay safe.

No Longer Cake Central... But Spam Central!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 May 2020 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 25

Regis, that is so sad for you poor mom.  It makes me sick to think about your beautiful country in this condition.  You are very right, we do not have it that badly at all.

You can probably order flour from King Arthur Flour, if you get near running out and need more.  I know they are still shipping yeast and flour, it just sometimes takes longer than usual for the delivery.

kakeladi Posted 6 May 2020 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 25

Regina I can’t believe what your mom has to go through for just 2 oz of coffee! Well good thing I hate it:)  Why is it so hard there?   I’ll dig up the recipe later today   Did you want both?  As for energy....well I crashed around 6 pm; slept thruthe News & Jeopardy :(   Today’s assignment is 2 batches of bananas bread :)   I use a toaster oven for most cooking because the wall oven doesn’t work—it puts out oder that sets off the smoke alarm   That means a total remodel of the kitchen   Just got the estimate—- $14,000+    That’s about 1/3 of what I paid for the place!    Daughter thinks she can do some of the work if we can find a contractor who will work with us  

theresaf Posted 6 May 2020 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 25

Wow Regina that really put things in perspective doesn't it.  I am sorry to read about rationing conditions for your Mom.  

Lynne you really get a lot done - bravo to you!  Jeopardy was probably a repeat anyway and you already know the news ;)

kakeladi Posted 6 May 2020 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 25

Lemon zucchini bread recipe 

2 cups flour                                                     (I used 1 cup oat flour  & 1 a.p. Flour)  

1/2 t salt                       2 t baking powder 

2 eggs                           1/2 cup oil

1 cup granulated sugar  1/2 cup brown sugar or all the same 

1/2 cup lemon curd             1/2 cup sour cream                                 1Tbsp lemon zest                       1cup grated zucchini

mix dry ingredients  set aside    

In lrg bowl beat eggs til light,thick, lemon color; add oil & sugar blend well     Add  curd/sc mix & zest  blending well   Fold in zucchini   Pour into greased pans bake in 350 oven 45-60 minutes 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 8 May 2020 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 25

what did they used to do about scammers they are out of control 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 11 May 2020 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 25

Hey Kakekladi, I made the lemon zucchini bread for breakfast today.... Oh it was delicious... so very moist and flavorful. I did not have lemon curd, I substituted with 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Voila! my children looooove it! Thanks my dear, and I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day yesterday.

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 13 May 2020 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 25

bump

kakeladi Posted 13 May 2020 , 11:36pm
post #12 of 25

So glad to hear you enjoyed it   Nice sub:)   Nothing wrong w/being creative when it’s needed 

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 13 May 2020 , 11:47pm
post #13 of 25

Kakeladi, they make some really nice counter top ovens now. I've thought  about getting one for side dishes, etc at Thanksgiving or other larger gatherings. 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 14 May 2020 , 12:54am
post #14 of 25

True, I have a very nice countertop convection oven. Mine is a kitchenAid and I got it from free with a bunch of credit card miles... I supposed to use them for travelling... but I'm grounded here homeschooling a bunch of lovely rascals. The oves is awesome, saves a lot of time and energy when you need to bake a casserole or cake.... you do not have to turn on the whole monster oven. It was actually there I bakes the lemon zucchini bread. I put it in a bundt pan and it was great! 

kakeladi Posted 14 May 2020 , 4:02am
post #15 of 25

Oh I know there are counter ovens but our counter space is sooo very limited!!  Besides need to save every penny for the remodel  

kakeladi Posted 14 May 2020 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 25

Bump 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 15 May 2020 , 12:53am
post #17 of 25

When we renovated our kitchen, we bought a Breville convection countertop oven. I just loooooooved it. Baked my cakes to perfection. Took a regular sized pizza pan, and muffin tins. Definitely loved  in the summer not having to heat up the big oven. And many nights cause there’s just the 2 of us, it’s ideal. Then inexplicably, after 3 years, it died. So disappointing. And it wasn’t cheap. We decided to splurge, researched, and Breville was the most highly rated. Anyway, after being looked at, was going to cost more to fix than to buy a new one. So we happened to be shopping and a department store had on a Cuisinart convection oven on sale plus % off because it was a demonstrator model. Got it including tax for $80. Wasn’t quite as big, but couldn’t pass up. Well had it for 6 years and still going strong. It does bake hot, so I set time accordingly. And the actual box of the oven is slightly smaller, and that seems to affect the length of cooking time. So I’ve found I can’t bake anything bigger than a 6” x 3” pan. 8” and above takes too long, and bottom of the cake will burn. That never happened in my Breville. Oh well, I can do most everything else in it. 

kakeladi Posted 17 May 2020 , 2:22am
post #18 of 25

Bump 

SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2020 , 2:14pm
post #19 of 25

bump

theresaf Posted 18 May 2020 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 25

Good Morning All

And congrats to Sandra the overwhelming (by my kinda-count) winner of KeepCalmAndBakeOn contests and June for all your spectacular work!

T

SandraSmiley Posted 18 May 2020 , 10:43pm
post #21 of 25

Thanks, sweetie.  Not a contest, just fun to see everyone's cakes.  I wish we were still doing them, but I know it is an awful lot of work for Tracy and Katy.

jchuck Posted 18 May 2020 , 11:20pm
post #22 of 25

Well thanks Teresa....I can’t hold a candle to Sandra’s work. Her training in art shows in every piece she does. And it was just a fun show and tell. There’s a lot of awesome talent on KC& CO. 

theresaf Posted 18 May 2020 , 11:51pm
post #23 of 25

Well it's inspiring work by you two and I'm happy to call you my cake-friends ;)

jchuck Posted 18 May 2020 , 11:56pm
post #24 of 25

❤️❤️❤️❤️  Teresa...❤️❤️❤️

SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2020 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 25

Big hugs and right back at ya, Teresa!

June, you would be surprised at how little my art education shows in my work, lol.  When I was going to college, the only thing considered art was abstract.  We were not allowed to do anything realistic.  The only thing I learned was what tools to use and how to use them.  They was in painting and jewelry, never before did any sculpting.  Chocolate modeling is my first.  I was just fortunate to have parents who were both brilliant artists.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%