Salted Caramel Chocolate Ganache Problems!

Baking By bashfulbaker2809 Updated 15 May 2020 , 3:15pm by SandraSmiley

bashfulbaker2809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashfulbaker2809 Posted 5 May 2020 , 4:31am
post #1 of 7

So the first time I made this recipe, the salted caramel chocolate ganache turned out GREAT! It was delicious - you could taste both the chocolate and salted caramel strongly (but just right) in the ganache. However, the next 3 times that I made it, the caramel flavour just wouldn't stand out. It would taste fine at room temperature. But after refrigerating it, the caramel flavour vanished and you could only taste the chocolate.

Do you have any idea why this is happening? Is there something wrong with the recipe?

Any help would be appreciated!

6 replies
littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 8 May 2020 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

bumping so you don't get lost in the spam

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 May 2020 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 7

If you want us to see the recipe, please print it in the comment section.  We do not click on links.

bashfulbaker2809 Posted 9 May 2020 , 6:47am
post #4 of 7

Here you go Sandra

Whipped Salted Caramel Milk Chocolate Ganache
200g milk chocolate, finely chopped
400ml double cream
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp flaked sea salt
50g unsalted butter

Make the ganache first as it needs a couple hours to chill before whipping. Place the chocolate into a medium bowl and set near the stove. Place the cream into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place the sugar into medium sized saucepan and place over medium heat and cook until melted and caramelised to the colour of a rusty penny. Once caramelised add the butter and salt and stir to combine. Add the cream in two additions, being careful as it will bubble up viciously. Once the bubbling has subsided you should have a smooth caramel, if the cream wasn’t hot enough you may have a couple lumps which will melt if you just pop it back over low heat and stir for a couple minutes. Stir in the vanilla and then pour the hot caramel over the chocolate, set aside for a couple minutes before stirring together to form a smooth ganache. Pop the bowl in the fridge for a couple hours or until thickened. Make sure you don’t leave the ganache in the fridge for too long as it will become too firm to whip, it still needs to be spreadable.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 May 2020 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for providing the recipe bashfulbaker2809.  I didn't mean to soun snarky, but I am sure you've seen all of the scammers, so we just don't click on any links.

I don't know why refrigeration would lessen the salted caramel flavor.  Once it comes to room temperature, can you taste the caramel or is it still missing?  The only think I can suggest is that you use a higher percentage of salted caramel in the recipe.  It does sound delicious.

bashfulbaker2809 Posted 15 May 2020 , 3:28am
post #6 of 7

Thank you Sandra for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it.  And yes, I think i'll increase the proportion of salted caramel like you suggested. However, won't it affect the consistency of this ganache? Even though its firm, it doesn't hold shape when piped. But that might also be due to our hot weather. Although it did hold shape beautifully the first time I made it. Such a mystery I tell you :D

SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2020 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 7

I am really out of my league on this one, bashfulbaker2809.  I've used ganache for covering cakes, making mousse filling, and for drips, but I've never tried to pipe it.  That is mostly because I am hopeless at piping.  

Another thought, to tone down the chocolate flavor a little, what about substituting white chocolate for a portion of the milk chocolate?  You should still be able to retain the same consistency, but white chocolate is really mild so might allow the salted caramel flavor to shine.  Just brain storming here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%