On Martha Right Now Nbc

Decorating By Sherryb Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 2:30pm by ThePastryDiva

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 2:57pm
post #31 of 54

I really can't say much more than what everyone else has said. I agree completely that they did not do those cakes!!! Fondant is way to hard for a bunch of kids to say ok, lets throw it on. I think that the pink cake would have been better if they would have centered it and had a flowing bow, not a "hat" bow. Oval could be pretty but not when it looks like is is going to fall over.

If only they had known about THIS website. There cakes would have been fabulous!!!!!!

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 2:59pm
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofjil

If only they had known about THIS website. There cakes would have been fabulous!!!!!!

Right on MOMFJIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:10pm
post #33 of 54

I don't know what type of person Martha's looking for to hire, but I don't think she's got much to really pick from on either team....
I would have loved to be a candidate, but it looks like there's an age limit......Am I wrong?
The right person got fired....She just thought she was all it from the get go...She's a Martha wannabe...lol...anyways...I love these type shows...Both cakes were nice, but the oval cake just didn't have the right sales person behind it to sell it...
Hey, I was in sales...and if I can sell a hairbrush to a bald man....what does that tell you about how they pushed their product!!!
Oh well, enough said..

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:19pm
post #34 of 54

I loved watching this episode. I agree that the right person got let go. She was to cocky. As far as them doing the cakes themselves, they had professional help. I don't know who was helping the pink bow team (there was a guy in the kitchen that said whatever you want I'll do and he wasn't from the team) but the other team got help from an awesome cake decorator from New York, Elisa Strauss from Confetti Cakes. They never mentioned her or even really showed her at all but I get her newsletter from her website and it mentioned she would be on the show. They did show her once when Martha's daughter came in to check on them. If anyone has seen the Food Network Birthday Cake Challenge, Elisa did the sock monkey cake. Very talented! So the winning team definitely had help, just like last weeks challenge.
Just my two cents icon_biggrin.gif
Heather

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:24pm
post #35 of 54

Yup they did get help. . . I saw Elise in one of the back round shots and she didn't look too happy with them. After all they started an all out war in the kitchen. . . Major shouting match!

Any way, yes thr 2 teams got help. . . but the matchstick team has 2 chefs on their team. . . I would think they would at least know a little of what they were doing. . .lol, maybe I'm being too nice in giving them the benifit of the doubt! icon_biggrin.gif

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:36pm
post #36 of 54

[quote]
Ok I have never used the quote before so if this doesn't make sense then I did do it right. My thought Alengirl was this: I have a friend who is incredible in the kitchen but not with cakes. What we do as cake decorators, while it includes baking is really an art and not just cooking a cake. Those two chefs may have never attempted a cake in their lives.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:45pm
post #37 of 54

Turn on Martha's daytime show she is also talking about cakes.

Nana2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana2three Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:48pm
post #38 of 54

I'm pretty sure the "chef" on the losing team said she cooked Mexican Cuisine and didn't even have a cake at her own wedding....nuff said! lol

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 4:00pm
post #39 of 54

Hi guys! Please don't be mad at me but I am going to play devil's advocate and say that I didn't agree with Martha firing Shawn. While I did think Shawn did a poor job, she is not one of the three that got called back to the boardroom which is the rule. In my opinion the team leader should have been let go because Martha tried to "hint" to him to pick Shawn to come back to the boardroom but he picked the two that didn't have anything to do with the sales. He didn't read Martha very well and to make it in corporate, you have to be able to "read" people. That is only my opinion. I enjoyed reading everybody else's.

Anyway, I think too they had bakers from the Culinary Institute assigned to them to help build the cakes. That's what my understanding was.

I personally would have discouraged my team from putting any color on a cake that could not be changed to suit the bride's needs. All white was the way to go. Again, just my opinion.

noelcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noelcakes Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 4:17pm
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdixoncakes

Hi guys! Please don't be mad at me but I am going to play devil's advocate and say that I didn't agree with Martha firing Shawn. While I did think Shawn did a poor job, she is not one of the three that got called back to the boardroom which is the rule. In my opinion the team leader should have been let go because Martha tried to "hint" to him to pick Shawn to come back to the boardroom but he picked the two that didn't have anything to do with the sales. He didn't read Martha very well and to make it in corporate, you have to be able to "read" people. That is only my opinion. I enjoyed reading everybody else's.

Anyway, I think too they had bakers from the Culinary Institute assigned to them to help build the cakes. That's what my understanding was.

I personally would have discouraged my team from putting any color on a cake that could not be changed to suit the bride's needs. All white was the way to go. Again, just my opinion.

I was thinking the exact same thinkI am glad that girl is gone, but the pm should have been fired for making a bad decision. That was my first thought we Martha was calling the others back in. I think Trump has done that beforefired the pm for not bring the right people back into the boardroom. I did love the showthe cakes were beautiful!

I did have one question maybe someone could answerwhen they say they sold the cake, what does that meanis the cake decorator who helped the teams going to make the cake for them? Its not like selling flowers where the customers just take them home and the team is done, the wedding cakes still have to be made to their weddings. I was so confused about that.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 4:43pm
post #41 of 54

This is a little off the subject but I saw someone mentioned that Martha did a better job at wedding cakes then Sylvia Weinstock. I pretty sure Martha does not make the cakes in her Wedding magazines. She has people that do that for her. She may come up with the idea but I don't think she makes the cakes. I found a website of a lady that works (or worked) for her and has made a lot of the cakes that are shown in the magazine. Just wanted to put that out there.
Heather

angelcake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcake4u Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 4:46pm
post #42 of 54

Okay, the girl that was "fired" is on Martha right now. She is so annoying!

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 6:27pm
post #43 of 54

seems to me if you want to sell a product, you want to make it appeal to as many customers as possible. The one team (with the pink cake--can't remember the team name) could have sold tons if they had just said something to the effect of "colors to match your wedding."

And I agree, the right candidate got fired. She had too much attitude for me!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 6:36pm
post #44 of 54

[/quote]

I went to bed before the show ended...

What did she say exactly about Sylvia... Maybe because Sylvia is a strong person and can speak her mind and mabye Martha and Sylvia have had their exchange of words.... ???? Maybe??? Anyone knows???

Well, I think Syliva can do a LOT better job on cakes than Martha!!!![/quote]

It wasn't so much of what she said but how she said it. But it was something along the lines of ---- I have sold more cakes than Sylvia, why didn't you look at my magazines?---- I am sure Martha's cakes have been copied more than Sylvia's, but is Martha really coming up with all the designs?? I think she just puts her name on things to sell them. Come on, you can't tell me she designs cakes, sheets, bedding, curtains, furniture.....

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 7:23pm
post #45 of 54

I don't think Martha was attacking Sylvia. There was a little derisive laugh and I thought she was going to be insulting, but I think she was laughing more at Shawna for tapping into the wrong market. I looked at her website, and Sylvia has some AMAZING cakes. I just wish I could see more of them. However, as you may be able to tell by her opinion of wedding cupcakes, she may be a little out of touch with mainstream America.

Martha doesn't even sell cakes, so why would she need to attack Sylvia? Martha has a multi-million dollar MEDIA corporation. Whether or not she designs the cakes in her magazines is irrelevant. She hires designers that work in the style she has made so successful, she does all the marketing, and she sells TONS of magazines. That's what Martha does and what she's trying to get her teams to do.

I partially agree with Ginger. The PM is pretty lousy as a PM, but Shawna brought firing on herself. She led the team in a direction and didn't stand by that direction. Maybe somebody else should be the PM, or maybe he'll go next. I suppose any team will fail in the absence of good leadership.

They specifically said at the beginning of the assignment that each team would get a baker/decorator, but yes - the staging of the decorating was pretty misleading.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of reality TV, but I may have to tune in next week just to see what happens.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:17pm
post #46 of 54

I totally agree that Shawn should have been fired too...after she got called into the boardroom. It's just why have the rule about the PM calling 2 or 3 people in with him if Martha's just going to fire who she wants to anyway?

I think the answer is...DRAMA (and ratings).

Really, though, it doesn't matter. I'm hooked...on cakes and the show. icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:19pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

It wasn't so much of what she said but how she said it. But it was something along the lines of ---- I have sold more cakes than Sylvia, why didn't you look at my magazines?---- I am sure Martha's cakes have been copied more than Sylvia's, but is Martha really coming up with all the designs?? I think she just puts her name on things to sell them. Come on, you can't tell me she designs cakes, sheets, bedding, curtains, furniture.

Really? Mmmm, I don't know because Sylvia does cakes for a living, Martha doesn't. Soooo, how can she possibly sell more than Martha.

Its maybe like you said, other's make her cakes and she puts her name on them....

I have seen her decorating cakes and Sylvia can do pretty simple to simply maginficent and towering huge cakes...

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 10:18pm
post #48 of 54

Martha used to be a caterer and did her own cakes. She started before Sylvia, I believe, even though Sylvia is older. I don't really know much about Sylvia, so I cannot make an educated statement about her, although, I know Sylvia's clientele is directed towards the upper class...highly priced, which may limit her as far as production goes...but, I know she obviously does a lot of cakes.

Martha is now on the business side of her business...I agree. But she started out doing her own stuff. We all start somewhere and maybe she just got too involved with the business part that she couldn't do it all.

Personally, I like Martha's cakes...whether she does them personally or not, she does have a say so on what goes on.

It is the same on all the food network shows...like Emeril, Bobby Flay etc. They have a whole staff in the Kitchen making all the food.

I don't know if I would ever want someone doing cakes for me. I enjoy it too much. icon_smile.gif Maybe that is Sylvia's thought too. She wants to be in there doing it herself. And Martha is happy being the over-seer.

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 11:40pm
post #49 of 54

The wedding cake episode is repeating tonight on MSNBC

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 6:42am
post #50 of 54

Do people really completely assemble a huge cake and then carry it to the vehicle??? That's so risky! I was just waiting for those guys to drop the cake or bump into something.

I thought that they were usually assembled at the reception site or wherever...I'm pretty sure that's what happened at my wedding.

Kelly

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 12:29pm
post #51 of 54

I have delivered a cake both ways--fully assembled and partially assembled.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 12:54pm
post #52 of 54

IMHO...........Sylvia and Martha both suck at cake decorating!

But if it wasn't for Martha Stewartt, most of us wouldn't be here, at least I know I wouldn't. I bought her book "WEDDINGS" and KNEW that I could do better!..lol, but she is an amazing business woman.

Sylvia picked the brain of Betty Van Nostrand..they were supposed to be partners. After Sylvia learned all there was to learn, she dumped Betty VanNostrand

(she's the wedding cake instructor at the Culinary Institute of America, a very nice, sweet and VERY, VERY talented woman...very low keyed, I'm sorry that I didn't take more classes with her. I will post my first attempt at GP flowers that I did with her, when possible)

Sylvia's flowers are NASTY looking, my son could do better, and he has the trophies to prove it....at 8 he addressed an ICES convention on how to do his ORANGE TIGER LILY! Her flowers are very unprofessional looking..oh wait, she has a bunch of underpaid underlings churning them out!!

She designs these GODAWFUL cakes covered with those YUCKY gumpaste flowers on wire! All I can see when I look at her cakes is a GIANT PINCUSHION. But, she IS the cake maker to the stars till she lost her place when other cake designers came into vogue. Celebrity clients can be soooo fickle..

Martha, just takes credit for all the work produced, but they say pay back is a witch, her husband divorced her and married her assistant...her MUCH YOUNGER assistant, and Martha and her daughter were estranged for a LOOOOONG time. They just reconciled...lol

Anyway...Don't quote me *wink, I'm not trying to be malicious by repeating this gossip...just expressing MY opinions...

and we are all have one.lol

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:23pm
post #53 of 54

icon_lol.gif Tell us how you really feel PastryDiva! lol

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:30pm
post #54 of 54

Iron baker..always...always..

My blood pressure has all but gone away since I decided to stop holding back..hehehehe!

Wach chu talkin' 'bout you need that cake tomorow?? Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me while I fall down laughing.....!

* I'm so bad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%