Texas Sheet Cake Help

Baking By Anne99 Updated 13 May 2020 , 10:52pm by jchuck

Anne99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne99 Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 20

My brother asked me to make a Texas sheet cake for his wedding. I curious to know what people have found to work for them when stacking  Texas sheet cakes. I'm also curious to know what my best bet with frosting would be, the Texas sheet cake frosting I use is very runny, you just pour it over the cake and let it fill it in. 

19 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2020 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 20

I've never made one for a wedding, but one of my good friends, who happens to live in Texas, made a Texas Sheet Cake for the grooms cake last year.  She did not stack it.  I am not sure it is possible.  Perhaps you could suggest that - Texas Sheet Cake as the grooms cake - and choose a more sturdy recipe for the tacked wedding cake.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 20

Bump

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 20

What Sandra said sounds good but then I’ve never made one

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 26 Apr 2020 , 4:06am
post #5 of 20

Texas sheet cakes are my speciality. I think I baked it once as a 9x13 and tried layering, but I don’t think it would have been sturdy enough to stack. I think it is best in the pan with the poured icing. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Apr 2020 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 20

We don’t call them Texas sheet cakes in Canada. But slab cakes. I have made many. Never stacked as they are very, very  heavy. I have tho, cut my slabs in half, and filled with buttercream. That adds to the height. For my daughter’s wedding, I made 4 chocolate slab cakes to serve at the late night buffet. There were 250 people, somI had more than enough cake. I ended up bringing one home.

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2020 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 20

June there is a difference TSC is something like The Mexican teas leaches ( I’m sure that not how it’s spelled:) — it’s like 50% poured icing & 50% cake The very thin icing is poured over the hot right from the oven cake making the cake almost fudge like

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 1:05am
post #8 of 20

I saw a recipe, a couple of days ago, for Texas Sheet Cake that used Dr. Pepper.  Very intriguing!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 1:46am
post #9 of 20

Dr. Pepper that should make it interesting.

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 2:37am
post #10 of 20

Aahhhh my favorite drink :)

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 2:52am
post #11 of 20

Mine too, kakeladi!  I tell everybody I have Diet Dr. Pepper running in my veins.  I've made cakes using sodas before and they work great.  I want to try the TSC with DP.

jchuck Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 11:51am
post #12 of 20

Ahhhh....We call the Texas Sheet cake  “Poke” cake. Poke cake, you poke wholes in the cake warm from the oven and pour whatever liquid into your cake. Big here was using warm jello to pour over the cake. But sweetened condensed milk is a biggie, caramel or chocolate sauce, puddings, and of course tres leches. My Mom made these occasionally. But what was big here, especially at church potlucks was “Dump” cake. “Dumping” a can of fruit of choice in a 9 x 13 pan, shake your cake mix over the fruit, dot with butter and bake. Easy Peasy and super delicious. My Mom’s fav was canned cherry or blueberry pie filling. Yummmmmm

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 20

I haven’t made a dump in ages! Yes it is very tasty & easy:) The TSC is always Chocolate and baked in/on a cookie sheet so it’s thin

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 20

A Texas Sheet Cake isn't a Poke cake either, June.  We also do Poke cakes and Dump cakes, which are both super yummy.  Here is Southern Living's Dr. Pepper version of a Texas Sheet Cake.

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/dr-pepper-texas-sheet-cake

jchuck Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 20

Oh, I see. Not in a 9 x 13 cake pan. But a actual sheet pan, kinda like baking a jelly roll, but without rolling  the cake up!! And then pouring over warm icing over the cake. So I’m assuming you serve from the pan, as I don’t see how cake can be removed and placed on a platter for serving. The pop sounds kinda weird,  it in actuality adds  to the sweetness and richness to the cake. I’ve made a root beer cake, and a sprite cake, which is a version of ginger ale. And I have made a killer roast beef marinade using coke or pepsi. Everyone loved it. And my meatball sauce has cola and grape jelly in it. That is really tasty!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 4:49pm
post #16 of 20

I've made several recipes using carbonated beverages.  Got a recipe off Allrecipes for Apple Dumplings which uses Mountain Dew or other lemon-lime soda and it is to die for.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 9 May 2020 , 7:46pm
post #17 of 20

bump

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 2:01pm
post #18 of 20

Bumpity Bump Bump 

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 13 May 2020 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 20

I agree that those apple dumplings using Mountain Dew are the best!

jchuck Posted 13 May 2020 , 10:52pm
post #20 of 20

Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%