Help Me Choose The Best Dipping Chocolate!

Baking By wsbj Updated 2 Jul 2020 , 7:47pm by kakeladi

wsbj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wsbj Posted 21 Apr 2020 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 5
Hi, everyone! I’m new on here, but I anticipate you will see me often as I am starting my own dessert business soon!

At the moment, I am experimenting cake pops to sell in my shop and have done extensive research for the best melting chocolate. I’ve come up with the best/most popular brands and though I practiced on the Wilton candy melts, it is not something I would like to work with. I didn’t have paramount crystals on me to thin it out, so had to use vegetable oil (I know it’s not recommended, but I don’t believe these candy melts would make too much of a difference with anything though I could be wrong). The taste was off-putting and colors were not vibrant. For instance, the black color was very dull, which I’m assuming could be fixed with an oil-based food coloring, but please do correct me if I’m wrong!

Can someone please let me know your thoughts on the following and what is your favorite? As I did some research on here, I noticed there were a few people who did not like Merckens and was curious to know why. If there’s another brand you use that you like, please share!

The important factors I like to consider are: price, best consistency, best taste, best colors. If anyone can explain why they think/don’t think the following categories go with the specific brands, I would really appreciate it. 

Merckens

Guittard

Ghirardelli

Make n mold

Chocoley

Wiltons

Foleys

Candiquik

Sephra 

Almond bark

Chocomaker 

Clasen 
4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jul 2020 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 5

I am so sorry I am just now seeing this post.  There was so much spam at the time, it just got buried.

I've used Ghirardelli for making white chocolate ganache and dark chocolate ganache.  It melts well and is easy with which to work, plus it is good enough to eat by itself.  For ganache, I've also used Nestle Chocolate Chips in semi-sweet chocolate and milk chocolate.  Since they are specifically intended for baking without melting, the chocolate chips were a bit harder to get melted, but worked fine.  No quite as yummy as Ghirardelli, but not noticeably inferior.

For cake pops and drip cakes, I've used Almond Bark, Walmart brand Dipping Chocolate, and Wilton Candy Melts.  Honestly, there is such a small amount of chocolate involved, I do not notice much difference in taste from the more expensive brands. (Note:  I am sure there are people out there who are cringing at that remark!)  They all three have the added advantage of being formulated for melting, so melt easily and smoothly.  For dipping or drips, I prefer any of these to real chocolate, hands down.  I have always gotten fabulous colors from Wilton Candy Melts and none of the above require the addition of Paramount Crystals, oil, or corn syrup.  You specifically mentioned the black not being intense, this cake was done with black Wilton Candy Melts.  It was not only super black, but glossy and shiny.

If you want to add color to chocolate or any of these oil based products, you need to use color specifically designed for chocolate.  Using gel or liquid colors, which are water based, will cause the chocolate to seize.

Help Me Choose The Best Dipping Chocolate!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jul 2020 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 5

If you are unable to reply to this post, please start a new one referring back to the original.  Sometimes new members are unable to respond to their own posts for about 30 days.  Or, you can send a personal message to any of us.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2020 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

I never saw your message either:(   As Sandra said there was an overwhelming amount of spam back then which made it easy to overlook a “real” post.  

I haven’t used dipping chocolate much & when I did it was always Wilton melts.  Maybe once in a while I’d mix in some chocolate chips—as I remember there was a taste difference as melted seem to be more waxy in taste 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2020 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 5

I never saw your message either:(   As Sandra said there was an overwhelming amount of spam back then which made it easy to overlook a “real” post.  

I haven’t used dipping chocolate much & when I did it was always Wilton melts.  Maybe once in a while I’d mix in some chocolate chips—as I remember there was a taste difference as melted seem to be more waxy in taste 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%