Best Tasting Icing/glaze

Baking By Sofia13 Updated 13 Apr 2020 , 11:52am by Laetia

Sofia13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sofia13 Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 8:44am
post #1 of 6

Hi,

this is my first post! I’m going to be decorating cookies tomorrow and would like to know your guys thoughts on which icing I should make?

my family wants the cookie to taste super good, so I don’t know if they would like the taste of royal icing. Plus im not great at decorating so my skills won’t make up for the flavor :P

ive seen royal glaze recipes going around, which is royal icing mixed with cookie icing, as well as royal icing with shortening and corn syrup added. Have any of you tried those recipes? Also there is one on seriouseats with cream added, has anyone tried that as well? Or maybe some tips to make royal icing have a good taste and texture?

i might just go with a classic corn syrup/milk/powdered sugar glaze, however I do want to pipe some flowers and paint on top so I’m not sure what to use!

5 replies
Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 6

I've only decorate cookie once and I've used royal icing. Whenever I make a recipe, I almost alwsys double or triple the amount of flavoring it's calling for. That way it is always super tasty!  I'm not sure, but I do not think the classic milk/powdered sugar glaze will dry enough for you to be able to paint on it. 

Since it is your first post, you might not be able to answer. In this case, just start an other one wiht the subject refering to this one.

Hope someone can help a lot more than me!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 6

Using cream probably won’t make much difference in taste because there will be such a small amount used Do as Laeteia said & triple the amount of flavoring used Also it helps to use a combination of extracts Like 1/4 teaspoon almond, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, & 3/4 vanilla You can change it to suit your own likes but always keep the ratio the same Example: 1/4 butter , 1/2 lemon or orange, 3/4 vanilla (all extractes) Maybe use strawberry or cherry or mint or a nutty flavor or anything your family likes :) Then as we said increase the amount used

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 6

My first thought was, if your family wants a super good tasting cookie, make chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter, or some other yummy cookie.  In my opinion, sugar cookies are all about the decoration, but that is just my southern sweet tooth talking.  Everyone I know who does cookie decorating, and we are talking about some world class cookie artists, uses traditional royal icing. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 6

Yes Sandra you’re right about making the *cookie* different, not a sugar cookie would certainly make a taste difference:)

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 11:52am
post #6 of 6

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%