Please Help With Granddaughter's Birthday Cake....

Decorating By NanaD Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 3:12pm by NanaD

NanaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaD Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 7

My granddaughter will be 10 yrs old. She has requested a heart shaped cake with pink roses. I know I am making far more out of this than I should. She also wants petifours. After I make this cake I have to travel 3 hours to Atlanta. I want an ivory color for the background. What kind of icing should I use??? preferably not the practice kind. How do I make the color of ivory? Can I make rosebuds out of BC????
Thanks for any advice.....
NanaD

6 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 7

Nana-what do you mean practice icing? I made the buttercream dream recipe from here over the weekend and it was wonderful. I know you can make roses as long as the bc is stiff. I think for the ivory I would start with white and then add just a tiny bit of yellow. Not sure though since I haven't done this yet. That is just what i would start with. I'm in the wilton course 1 and just learned the bc rose in class. Good luck!!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 7

I have just used Wilton's Ivory paste,it is a really soft color. Crusting cream cheese icing is a light ivory, and it tastes good, too.
HTH
Ps. I'm in Dahlonega, where is Evans?

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

Wilton has an Ivory icing color (not sure if if Americolor has one or not) that I like. If you use the Wilton ivory use only little bits at a time - it can look pretty brownish if you use too much! HTH

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 7

She has requested a heart shaped cake with pink roses. I know I am making far more out of this than I should.
NanaD[/quote]

Are you kidding!?! I just made a sandcastle my grandaughter wanted for her birthday, and she's only THREE icon_smile.gif

Good luck with those petitfours, that's where i'd draw the line-I hate to do those icon_mad.gif
Kathy

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

I am not for sure what you mean by pratice icing, but you can use BC as long as it is Thick, When I don't have time I always by Wilton's ready made icing and use it to do my roses. Heart shape cake sounds easy.....Gl in traveling with it.

If I was you I would not put the roses on until I got to your granddaughter house....I would make them, freeze them and then that way they have time to thaw while you travel.

HTH

NanaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaD Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the advice. Evans Ga is right outside of Augusta Ga. I sure hope it turns out OK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%