Safe Temperature For Baked Goods?

Lounge By lvdenver Updated 19 Apr 2020 , 1:25pm by Laetia

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 70

Hi All...

In light of what's happening in the world because of the Coronavirus, can somebody please tell me what the Safe temperature would be when baking Irish Soda Bread?

Is it different than other baked goods, like cakes and/or cupcakes?

I need something to distract me from the all the News reporting, so I want to bake.  But I don't want to end up with too much of a final product that my neighbors may not want to receive from me.

Does this makes sense to any of you?

Thanks in advance for any of your Wisdom!

GO!!!!!!!

69 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 70

The recipes I checked for Irish Soda Bread call for oven temperatures of 375 degrees to 400 degrees F.  That is a relatively high temperature and is surely food safe.  Bread (most) is done when it reaches 190 degrees F. inside.  I just took a rye boule out of the oven, which I started in a 450 degree oven, turned down immediately to 350 degrees.  The internal temp registered at 196 degrees F.

lvdenver Posted 1 Apr 2020 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 70

Hi Sandra...…

Yay!  Thank you for the info!  It's the 190-ish number I was looking for.  

I'm using Ina Garten's recipe.  I've made it several times, but never worried like I am now.  I always went with the 'golden brown, and sounds hollow when you tap on the bottom' route.

But then again....I wasn't worried about poisoning anybody....and none of them cared before.  They just wanted the bread.  lololol

Stay safe, kiddo!

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 2:39am
post #4 of 70

You are very welcome!  Hugs!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 70

Bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 2 Apr 2020 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 70

Bump

Laetia Posted 3 Apr 2020 , 11:42am
post #7 of 70

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 70

Laetia Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 70

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 70

I want to give the Irish Soda Bread a try too.

lvdenver Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 70

Sandra...

Oh, yes!  You should try the soda bread!  I'm telling you....if I can make it, you absolutely can! 

Reading all the wonderful descriptions from all you ladies makes me just in Awe, again!  So many different types of breads you all make.....On top of all the cakes and decorating?  Good lord...I don't even belong on these Forums.  I feel like I'm eavesdropping at a quilting bee!  lololol

And now, you watch......let's see how many of you Quilt, too!

Stay safe ladies...and gentlemen.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Apr 2020 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 70

I used to help my grandmother piece and even quilt once, but I've never done it on my own.  I did used to be a pretty fair seamstress with the sewing machine, though.  Too lazy now, lol.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Apr 2020 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 70

Ivdenver, I think I bake bread, cake decorate, etc because I grew up with a baking Mom. I started at her side when I was very young. Both my older sisters bake and make bread too. Now my daughter watched me bake from a very young age. She has shown no inclination to take up the mantle, with the exception of chocolate chip cookies. Her husband does all the cooking because she’s plain not interested. I still comb through recipe books, websites, watch cooking shows etc. Daughter....nope. Even when I went back to work full time and my kids were still relatively young, I still cooked and baked. Now my son on the other hand, he’s shown quite an interest in cooking. Not so much baking yet. 

lvdenver Posted 12 Apr 2020 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 70

Hi June....

That makes complete sense of how you came to be so talented at baking, etc.  Not to take anything away from other mothers who worked, but I remember my mom, single w/three daughters,( and a cheapskate father...whom I love to death now) working all the time, not getting home until 7pm.  She cooked some on weekends...killer pot roast...but was not big on baking.  And by the time I have clear memories, it was my middle sister doing a Lot of the cooking.  So, I didn't have that luck of learning at my mother's side.  I envy those of you who did.  :)

Now, I LOVE cooking shows, in fact I watch for far too many hours.  My joke to others is that I can 'Tell you' how to cook almost anything.  But as for me actually making it....not so much.  lol  And I also love cookbooks and recipe websites.  I guess it's good that I never had children of my own, so I didn't have to worry about feeding them, or teaching them how to cook.  Yes, I'm very selfish....and I admit it....lol  My husband also cooked well.  Hee cooked me 'under the table'.  But he couldn't bake worth a darn.

Keep up the good work, and stay bust during this challenging time.  I adore the stories, and also all the pictures for the last  several years.  You, and all the others, are great inspirations to me.  I am forever grateful for this website, and all of you!

Take care....and as always.....

Stay Safe!

Peace!

lvdenver Posted 12 Apr 2020 , 11:36pm
post #15 of 70

June, Sandra, Lynne....Anybody out there at 4:30 Sunday afternoon...….

I want to make cinnamon rolls that call for a Tanzhong, which I think I understand, but have a question...….

The recipe calls for  Instant Yeast, and all I have is what is labeled "Active Dry' Yeast. 

Are these the same?

HELP!!!!!!

Christie

jchuck Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:04am
post #16 of 70

Christie both of these will work. Instant yeast you can add directly to  your flour mixture. But “Active” dry yeast needs to be dissolved in water to “bloom”. This way you know the yeast will work. Don’t know what you’re recipe calls for as far as liquid, but I usually do 1 cup of warm water from the recipe  ( I don’t use a thermometer cause I can pretty much tell the correct temperature) a tsp of sugar, to 2 1/4 tsp (one package) of yeast. Put water in a 2 cup measuring cup because it will grow and froth. Takes approximately 10 minutes. Then add to your recipe.  If you pour the water over your wrist, it should feel just slightly warm. If you don’t trust that method, water should be between 105-110 degrees. ❤️

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:18am
post #17 of 70

Oh, Thank you, June.....

So if I have Active yeast....I need to Bloom it , which I understand, then add to rest of ingredients....mix, knead, and let rise 1st time. 

Then after shaping I let it rise again before baking, Correct?

If that's correct, and it will then be too late to finish......do I refrigerate before, or after the second rise?

Either way, Next morning, I would take them out, let warm to room temp, and Then bake?

I feel really inept right now......lololololol

jchuck Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:25am
post #18 of 70

Yuppers...bloom, add to recipe, mix, knead rise once. Then place in the refrigerator covered with oiled wax paper and a elastic band. Tomorrow  morning, remove from fridge, shape, rise and bake. That’s it. Don’t be nervous, just have fun!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:26am
post #19 of 70

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_roux

Christie, I had to look up Tanzhong to see what it was.  It is a technique used in bread baking, which I've actually done, but never heard it call this.

As June said, you can use Active Dry yeast and Instant yeast interchangeably.

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:31am
post #20 of 70

June, Sandra...…..

I LOVE you Ladies!!!!!!!!!!!  And I love the fact that you always have my back!

Now, considering it's 5:30 pm, and I haven't yet even measured any of my ingredients…..these will be Tomorrow morning Rolls for sure!

And I have two sets of people who are chomping at the bit for me to make them....One of the gals has 2 young kids, too!  I feel bad now!  lol

Thanks again, Ladies!  I will try to update on progress later, and pictures tomorrow....Good Lord willing....and the Creek don't rise!!!  :)

Have a great evening!

Peace!

jchuck Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:34am
post #21 of 70

Well it’s evening here for me. 8.20 pm. Heading to bed soon as I’ve been up since 5.50 am. 

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:42am
post #22 of 70

Lol, our creeks are rising, as we speak, Christie!  Flooding rains all day and more, plus tornadoes, tonight.

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 12:57am
post #23 of 70

Praying you are spared from tornadoes! Saw on the news about the storms & wondered if they would impact anyone

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 1:03am
post #24 of 70

Sandra, June...…

General rule of baking one should Always follow.....don't let friends buy butter for you.  It's Salted.....and too late to correct in dry mixture.....all of that ix is measured, mixed, and ready to dump in!

Ooooopppppppssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitey nite to both of you.   

Cute, Sandra!

Peace!

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 1:30am
post #25 of 70

Your salted butter won't hurt anything in bread.  It will be fine.

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 1:39am
post #26 of 70

You're So sweet, Sandra.

It sure tasted Salty when I licked off a bit that was on my finger!  I didn't think I'd been using Un-salted long enough to notice the difference.  I decided I'll make up a little bit by not adding any salt to the filling.

And...…..This is really turning into a comedy of errors now...….

Yeast in the packet...….No Good...….Old, Un-opened jar of yeast....Good!  Bloomed nicely!  Only lost about half an hour on that move.....Ahahahahahaha!

I need to set up a camera in the kitchen to show how Not to Bake!

And God bless you for sticking around, Sandra.....lololololololol !

Peace!

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 2:37am
post #27 of 70

Oooohh my You sure have had nothing but trouble with your attempt to bake!! LOL

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 3:31am
post #28 of 70

Yes, Lynne, I have!

And, apparently the 'Fun' isn't over yet......The dough isn't rising!  I may have to start over from square one in the morning.

8:30 and I haven't even rolled them out yet!  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe new yeast will work.  But on Thurs., I was at grocery store, in the baking aisle, and a woman was looking for yeast...they were sold out....and all and any kind!

Oh boy....Long day.

Peace!

kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 3:52am
post #29 of 70

Yes I looked the other day when I went shopping & there was none — 2 stores Think I’ll find any soon? Doubt it ;)

lvdenver Posted 13 Apr 2020 , 4:42am
post #30 of 70

Hey Sandra…..

Just so you know....I sent you a Message on CC in case you come across it by chance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%