Friday Night Cake Club For 03-20-20

Decorating By Laetia Updated 25 Mar 2020 , 3:59pm by SandraSmiley

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Sorry I have'nt been able to come much this week and participate in the forum. I just have a quick read of the threads that were going on... Well, I just hope every one of you is safe and respect the confinement and sanitary-safety mesure in place where ever you are. I guess cake business is slow or inexistant by now, but I'm starting this post anyway. Maybe some of you have decided to kill time by playing with sugar! As for myself, I  have to continue working almost as nothing was happening out there. I work in a Montreal (Quebec) hospital, in a cancer therapy departement. I'm not directly up front with those who are sick with the coronavirus, but unfortunately, that b*tch we call cancer does not take a break while the world is in lockdown.  I'm greatfull I still have a pay check coming in, I realise how previlegiate I am. 

Enough talking!

Julie

21 replies
Laetia Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 22

Same flower I've already shared a week ago. This time I've finished dusting it and the leaves.

I still don't know if the cake I was planing to put it on will happen, but at least my head is worry free while I play with sugar...Friday Night Cake Club For 03-20-20

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 22

beautiful @Laetia!  Very nicely done & dusted.

Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 12:11am
post #4 of 22

Thank you Mbalaska!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 1:27am
post #5 of 22

Beautiful flower! Very realistic looking. 

Be careful up there at work. I work in the lab at a cancer hospital in Texas. Very lucky to have a job. I feel for the patients as they are already scared and this is just more to worry about. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 1:30am
post #6 of 22

W O N D E R ful flower work ! I bet your rose is even more beautiful in person

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 2:52am
post #7 of 22

This is stunning, Julie!  The good thing about flowers is that they keep for a long, long time, if kept away from heat.  Just cover it lightly with a paper towel or some sort of light cloth to keep the dust off and away from strong light.  Even if it fades a little bit, you can always re-dust it.

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 2:54am
post #8 of 22

I baked a elderflower-lemon cake today and got it filled with lemon curd and stacked.  It is in the fridge overnight and I will frost it with white chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream tomorrow.  If I can get to the camera faster than I get to the knife and fork, I will post a picture.

Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 22

Thank you Marian, kakeladi and Sandra!

Sandra, I dont know what elderflower taste like (I guess it's somehow floral...) but you've got me with lemon. Sounds delicious!

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 12:44am
post #10 of 22

Julie, Elderflower is a bright, floral flavor, very fragrant and delightful with a touch of lemon.  The cake is filled with lemon curd and frosted with white chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  Perfect flavor for spring.  It was supposed to be my birthday cake, but I didn't have any lemons.  Ok, it's still my birthday cake, just a little late, lol.  I just slapped on the magnolia long enough to snap a picture.  Two seconds later, I was cutting slices for us.

Friday Night Cake Club For 03-20-20

Marian64 Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 1:05am
post #11 of 22

Beautiful cake Sandra. Hope you were able to enjoy your birthday.

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 2:44am
post #12 of 22

Thanks, Marian64!  We did go out to eat.  We always go at odd times because we don't like crowds, but this time, the restaurant had many, many tables blocked off to enforce social distancing, which I thought was a brilliant idea.  There were few folks there anyway.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 4:15am
post #13 of 22

Wonderful cake @Sandra......  It's so very elegant !!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 22

Bumpity bump bump

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 4:31pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks MBalaska!  I don't bother to decorate our cakes.  We are always too eager to eat them, lol.

Laetia Posted 23 Mar 2020 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 22

Lovely cake Sandra and it sounds even more delicious now that you've describe elderflower yo me!  Happy belated birthday to you

xxx

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 2:29pm
post #17 of 22

Thank, Julie!  I like chocolate, but I love citrus and lighter flavors, so this one is special to me.

Marian64 Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:43pm
post #18 of 22

Sandra the more I see this post the more intrigued I become about elderberry cake. Where do you find elderberry?

Thanks,

Marian

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:36pm
post #19 of 22

I ordered Belvoir Elderflower Cordial from somewhere on line.  You can find it in a lot of places, but I actually prefer the flavor of elderflower liquor called St. Germain, which is super delicious!  I used the St. Germain first because there was no cordial available locally.  After trying both, I prefer the booze....what a shock!

Here is the recipe I use.  It is a copy cat recipe of the wedding cake made by Clair Ptak of Violet Cakes for Harry and Meghan's wedding.

https://livforcake.com/lemon-elderflower-cake/

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 22

Because the cake has a drizzle, lemon curd filling and white chocolate SMBC, it takes a while to make, but is well worth it.  It also takes a dozen eggs, so now may not be the best time to try it.

Marian64 Posted 25 Mar 2020 , 1:14pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks Sandra. I have saved the recipe. Now to have ingredients and time to make it. I have never tried lemon curd or the Swiss buttercream. I will probably go ahead an order the elderberry cordial.

Thanks again for the link.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2020 , 3:59pm
post #22 of 22

Swiss Meringue Buttercream is not nearly as hard or scary as you might think.  I was intimidated for a long time, but it really is not difficult.  I make my lemon curd in the microwave instead of the stove top, same ingredients heated on high for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.  It will thicken up a lot more when it cools off in the fridge.  You can make both the lemon curd and buttercream ahead of time, if you like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%