How To Make Butter Cream That Taste Good

Decorating By ladyboutwell Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:22pm by SandraSmiley

ladyboutwell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyboutwell Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 40

I want to make me a birthday cake I cant make butter cream that taste good there is a lot of different recipes out there and I cant find one that taste good.  most of them call for the same ratio of fat to powder sugar mine don't come out good.most call for 1  cup fat per pound of sugar. I made a all butter recipe taste to buttery for me . I tried the half Crisco and half butter didn't taste good either. anybody got any tips that can help me . thanks I wont to be able to make roses with it and frost the cake. not trying to make one to sell just wont to make it for myself

39 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 40

You can try adding a lot more flavoring.  If a recipe calls for one teaspoon, I generally use at least a tablespoon.  Combining more than one flavoring is nice too.  One good example is two parts vanilla to one part almond.  Taste test as you near the end of mixing your frosting and add flavoring until it reaches the level you like.

You could try Swiss meringue buttercream but, while a lighter, less sweet frosting, it is still very buttery.

ladyboutwell Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 40

is it ok  to add more icing sugar will the results still be the same thanks

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 40

You can add more sugar to make a stiffer consistency frosting.  You may have to experiement a little bit to find the exact consistency for piping, but adding more sugar will not ruin your frosting.  If it gets too stiff, add milk, cream, or water one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. 

ladyboutwell Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 40

thanks

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2020 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 40

You are very welcome.  I hope that helps.  For what it is worth, all of  us who bake a lot of cakes use a whole lot more extracts, emulsions, or fresh flavorings than called for in recipes, so this is not extravagant.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Mar 2020 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 40

I agree. I alway double or triple the amout of flavoring a recipe call for. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2020 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 40

So do I :)

ladyboutwell Posted 14 Mar 2020 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 40

thanks and can you make roses with all butter butter cream

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 12:27am
post #10 of 40

Yes, you can make roses with all butter buttercream.

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 1:57am
post #11 of 40

Absolutely, butter will work just as well as shortening.

ladyboutwell Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 40

thanks when you make your frosting does it seem to be a heavy frosting

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 40

American buttercream is always heavy because of the high butter content.

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 40

I prefer cooked flour icing. Not too heavy or sweet. It can be a limit tricky, but worth it. To make this icing a little more stable, and pipe and firm up faster, I add a couple of cups of icing sugar and some meringue powder to the finished icing. I also love using ganache to cover a cake. Many times I do half cooked flour icing and ganache together. Another buttercream you might want to try is Easy buttercream by Liz Marek. Will post both of these recipes.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/12/flour-buttercream-fluffy-frosting-recipe.html

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/easy-buttercream-frosting/

Hope this helps...

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 40

I you prefer a lighter, less sweet frosting, the Ermine, which June recommended, is a good choice.  It really is delicious, but I have more success with Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  If you decide to go with the Ermine or SMBC, you can still use American Buttercream for piping your flowers because it usually works better and is more stable for flowers.

ladyboutwell Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 40

thanks for the replys I like the kind of frosting that is on birthday cakes that you get at the bakerys and grocery stores is that butter cream I want to be able to make that type of frosting I don't mean the cool whip kind thanks

ladyboutwell Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 40

that frosting don't seem to be as heavy as mine

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 40

The grocery store icing is basically oil based. Not all necessarily shortening. If you are in the USA, I do believe you can buy Bettercream at Sam’s club. That’s the type of icing that is used. I don’t know what else to suggest as you’ve tried all butter, and half butter and shortening and you don’t like it. You’ll have to experiment with ideas we’ve given you. Each person has there own individual tastes.

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 40

Bakeries use a lot of different kinds of frosting, but grocery stores usually use an all shortening buttercream, because it is cheaper than butter.  I suspect the problem you are having with the texture/lightness of your buttercream...yes, what you described is American Buttercream, is that you need to beat the butter and/or shortening longer.  Put the butter or shortening or a combination of the two in your stand mixer and beat on medium speed until it is light and fluffy and a pale color, up to 10 minutes, then start adding your sugar and flavorings, with the mixer on low speed.  Once all of the sugar has been incorporated, beat it on a medium-low speed for another two to five minutes until it is light and creamy, longer if needed. 

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 7:59pm
post #20 of 40

You are correct Sandra. You have to beat the shortening/butter for a good 15 minutes until light, fluffy and pale. That makes all the difference in the texture.

ladyboutwell Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 8:09pm
post #21 of 40

thanks for all your help

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2020 , 8:20pm
post #22 of 40

Your welcome, that’s what we’re here for..  :o)

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 2:18am
post #23 of 40

I am anxious to see what results you achieve with a long mixing time.  Please do let us know how it turns out.

ladyboutwell Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 3:31pm
post #24 of 40

sorry I have another question do you use merguine powder in the frosting you use to frost the cake with or do you just use it for making the roses thanks

jchuck Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 3:37pm
post #25 of 40

You use the meringue powder mixed with the icing sugar, then put into the icing as your mixing up your buttercream. Then you can use that icing for both frosting the cake and making roses. Hope that helps. Don’t be sorry, if you don’t ask, you don’t know.

ladyboutwell Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 3:50pm
post #26 of 40

thanks

jchuck Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 4:50pm
post #27 of 40

Your very welcome...    :o)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 6:06pm
post #28 of 40

I feel meringue powder is totally Unnecessary - just a ploy by Wilton to sell, sell, sell more.  Just a personal feeling!   It has *VERY Limited* usage.  What makes icing 'crust' is the ratio of fat to sugar.  The more fat the creamier the icing that will not crust so obviously the more sugar to fat along w/little if any liquid the more it will dry/crust.   This is a great recipe that can be made both ways...…….crusting and non-crusting:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing  

ladyboutwell Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 6:54pm
post #29 of 40

thanks

jchuck Posted 16 Mar 2020 , 7:59pm
post #30 of 40

This is true of MOST icings kakeladi/ Lynne. But I was speaking about COOKED FLOUR/ERMINE ICING, of which I have a lot of experience. The cooked flour icing will eventually crust, over time.  But the addition of meringue powder + icing sugar helps the the icing pipe as it’s generally on the soft side. And since there is NO icing sugar in the original recipe, the addition helps. I generally, as a rule, don’t add as much icing sugar to my icings if I can help it. So the meringue powder, or even small amount of royal icing helps icing firm up. ladyboutwell would have a very difficult time piping roses with just plain undoctored caked flour/ermine icing. Too soft. For a quick family cake or cupcakes, it isn’t always necessary to make the additions to the icing if you don’t want to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%