Creating Height W/ Rice Crispy

Decorating By lovelycaker Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:55pm by SandraSmiley

lovelycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelycaker Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all! I need my cake to be a bit taller and ive never used rice crispy in a cake before - where is the best place to add my rice crispy layer? The bottom or at the top? Or in the middle?? Haha! Its going to be a hummingbird feeder carved cake, not a teired cake, so tall and kinda skinny - with dowels for support of course! Any advice is appreciated! 

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 9

There really is no need to use Rice Krispy Treats, unless you just want to.  If you use a nice, sturdy recipe, like the *Original* WASC, and proper doweling, all cake will hold up just fine.  If you want to use RKT's, I suggest using them on the bottom part of the bird feeder.  I would make it all cake with a central dowel running all the way through and anchored into the cake board.  After two cake layers with appropriate dowels, add a cake board to separate the next two layers, etc.  It will be easier to carve than using RKT's.  Cover the whole thing with ganache after carving and it should be nice and sturdy to cover with fondant or not.

lovelycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelycaker Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 9

My issue is,, i dont have enough cake!! I want it to be taller and i dont want to make another batch of cake! Hahaha so the rice crispy will hold up on the bottom under all the cake? Its sturdy enough? Thank you!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 9

I've never really tried it.  I guess, if it is a concern, you could just as easily use it on the top.  If you are going to drive a dowel through it, it will need to set up in the fridge for a while.  When using it for sculptures, I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let it set up over night.  In the fridge, over night would not be necessary.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 9

If you have any styrofoam, you could also use it for the bottom part of your cake and it does carve pretty well and is very sturdy.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 9

Here's my version of a bird feeder w/details of how it's made.  It might help you:    https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2105011/birdfeeder                   900_3757VU_birdfeeder.jpg

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 9

That is awesome, kakeladi!  It looks real!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

Awesome Lynne!

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 9

lpvelycaker, if you are unable to reply on this post, just start a new one referring back to the original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%