Wedding Cake - How Did They Create This?

Decorating By Merakibaking Updated 24 Mar 2020 , 3:57pm by SandraSmiley

Merakibaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merakibaking Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone! 

I am in charge of making my sisters wedding cake this May (eeeek). She loves the style of this one: 

I am planning to make a lemon/elderflower cake and cover it with swiss meringue buttercream. I am wodering how they got the black textured look on the cake? My sister says she would want that in gold. 

My original idea is to cover the cakes with SMB, then place in fridge to firm up. Then using a paintbrush of some sort paint on edible gold paint. 

Does this sound ok? OR does anyone have any advice on how best to recreate this? Thanks in advance. 

Wedding Cake - How Did They Create This?Wedding Cake - How Did They Create This?Wedding Cake - How Did They Create This? 

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry I can’t help you but that’s a very interesting design One thing I noticed was that it appears to be partially covered in fondant along the back of the tiers

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 9

I think it was done exactly as you suggested, Merakibaking.  The top and bottom tiers appear to have had the color applied with vertical brush strokes, using about a 2" wide brush, and the middle tier appears to have both vertical (the lighter ones) and horizontal brush strokes.  Since gold and white are a lot closer in tone than black and white, your pattern will be much more forgiving.  You could also experiment using a sponge to apply the color.  Bet that would be gorgeous!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 9

I suppose only a painter would have noticed that Sandra :)   Seeing the pix on the computer vs my phone it's not at all the same......what I posted before is not what I see now.    I also notice now there appears to be some texturing on the middle tier that I don't see on the other tiers. 

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 9

There does seem to be a bit of a rough finish on the buttercream, probably intentional.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 9

That is a beautiful cake! And those ideas sound lovely!!

Back when HarryAndMeghan got married, their cake was done by a baker in London, Violet Cakes, or something like that, where the buttercream was intentionally rough and you could see the edges where the smoothing stopped.  A lot of people seem to be going with that trend according to what I've seen on Instagram! The finish on the buttercream looks almost pebbled, like it was smoothed with a patterned papertowel or like when you use a paint roller that doesn't have a smooth finish.  

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Mar 2020 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 9

I love the type finish done on the royal wedding cake.  it is understated elegance.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2020 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 9

Marekibaking, if you wish to reply, start a new post referring back to the original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%