Oriental Roof Top

Decorating By Moonstone.lady Updated 5 Mar 2020 , 6:51pm by SandraSmiley

Moonstone.lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moonstone.lady Posted 5 Mar 2020 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 3

Hi ladies, 

I’m planning a two tiered oriental cake design, and was wondering how I’d go about achieving a similar roof between my tiers? How do I attach it? I’m not copying the cake design in the image but looking for a similar look with the roof. I thought about using card stock as a base under the fondant but I don’t think it’ll hold up to the weight. I need something that can hold its shape, and bendable to achieve the slight curve, then I have no idea how to attach it to the cake, maybe using ganache or royal icing? Please help! I have to deliver the cake in a few days. Oriental Roof Top

2 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 5 Mar 2020 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 3

To me, it looks like they used cardboard. I would just cut a circle hole in the middle to fit the cake and slide it down like a skirt. It wouldn't go anywhere.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Mar 2020 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 3

If you want the roof structure to be edible, there may not be enough time.  To use fondant, fortified with Tylose, gum paste or pastillage, a few days of drying time would be required.  If I were making it, I would use pastillage, cut into sections, position on something to form the curve and allow it to dry.  To attach it to the cake, I would create a support by using a roll of modeling chocolate on the top of the tier where the roof will be attached, to help support the piece and provide more surface for attaching.  I would attached the individual pieces using melted chocolate, abutting the inside edge against the top tier and resting it on the modeling chocolate.  Each piece should fit snuggly against the other and be finished with fondant, modeling chocolate, or piped icing trim.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%