Rubix Cube Cake...help!!

Decorating By Amanda_K_Bass Updated 5 Mar 2020 , 2:49pm by kakeladi

Amanda_K_Bass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda_K_Bass Posted 4 Mar 2020 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 4

Good Morning! 

Someone has asked me to make this rubix cube. Albeit it looks fairly easy, I have not committed to it yet because I have a little apprehension about that black fondant. I personally would cut separate squares for all the sides but that would leave me with ugly seams!! Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont think I've covered a square cake with a solid piece of fondant like....EVER. It makes me nervous.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2020 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

I would approach it the same way I don’t see there being ugly seams but someone else will jump in there with another suggestion

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Mar 2020 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 4

I have seen videos where the square cake is covered in the traditional manner.  The fondant is smoothed nice and flat agains all sider and it forms a pleat at each corner.  The pleat of excess fondant is cut off, flush with the cake and the resulting seams smoothed together with a little (a very little) water and the fondant smoothers or fingers.

I would probably use the wrap method - apply the fondant to the top of the cake, trim it flush with the edges, then wrap a long piece of fondant around the sides of the cake.  Once secured, trim the top edge with a sharp knife, flush with the top of the cake.  Smooth out the one seam with your fondant smoother.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2020 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 4

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%