Rose Gold, Blush And Navy Cake - How Do I Do This?

Decorating By Nycole Updated 17 Jul 2021 , 10:14pm by kakeladi

Nycole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nycole Posted 23 Feb 2020 , 4:09am
post #1 of 12

Hello! I run a very small home bakery which mostly started out because I couldn't keep baking ALL THE THINGS for all of my friends anymore without charging for it! That said, I am still sort of figuring things out as I go and I got a quote request for a cake that looks like this, it has me a little flummoxed. The caption on this reads that this is all buttercream...do you know the best way to achieve this look? I know how to do a tall cake, but I'm just not sure how she did the sides. 

Rose Gold, Blush And Navy Cake - How Do I Do This?

11 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 23 Feb 2020 , 4:55am
post #2 of 12

Chill the first coat, then spread the bottom layer on in an uneven line as high as you want it. Then smoothe it out with a scraper. Make sure it's thick enough to keep the separation.  Chill that, then make your paint and brush it on.

It's ok if it's uneven and maybe has a smudge here and there, that's the look of the cake. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Feb 2020 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 12

Ditto what rychevamp said!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2020 , 11:48am
post #4 of 12

Bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Feb 2020 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 12

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Feb 2020 , 1:57am
post #6 of 12

bump

kakeladi Posted 27 Feb 2020 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 12

Bump

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Mar 2020 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 12

bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Mar 2020 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 12

There's a lot of tutorial on youtube. The technique is called "fault line cake".

metweety6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metweety6 Posted 15 Jul 2021 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 12

How many people with a cake like this serve?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2021 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 12

I think what you're asking is -- when those cakes are doubly tall how many servings do you get -- but unless there's something to relate the cake to like a soft drink can or something you can compare it to you really can't be accurate about the number of servings from a photo --

but for the doubly tall cakes -- there should be a board inside halfway up -- it is essentially a two tier cake all iced as one -- so you double the servings -- it's the footprint of a cake that determines serving size -- these have two 'footprints' because of the extra board -- so just depends on the size around but yes twice as many -- if you have a six inch cake that's eight inches tall -- you get 24 servings -- twice as many as a regular six inch cake --

however you can make a six inch tall cake and not use the extra board -- it's the seven inch tall and taller cakes with the extra board where you can double servings -- 

there's a lot of variables but I think that's what you wanted to know -- let me know if that is your answer

kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2021 , 10:14pm
post #12 of 12

Agree with K8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%