Duncan Hines Mixes

Baking By custard79 Updated 12 Jan 2020 , 1:10am by SandraSmiley

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 9 Jan 2020 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 7

What did they do to Duncan Hines mixes? They always fall in the middle now. I’ve tried adjusted my flour and liquid and no luck. Anyone figure it out??

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2020 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 7

Aaawwwww shacks.......   since I don’t do cakes anymore I didn’t know there was a problem but then I seldom used DH    I had the best results w/Betty   Crocker 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jan 2020 , 12:40am
post #3 of 7

I have not had any problems with DH, but I never just make it as directed on the box, but use it with the *Original* WASC Recipe.

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 10 Jan 2020 , 1:32am
post #4 of 7

I always doctor it as well but my recipe is no longer working 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 7

A thought just popped into my head:)   Watch out this could be dangerous!   Have  you checked your oven?  Maybe the problem is not the mix   

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

As I use doctored box mixes often, I've not noticed any difference in the different brands.  Like @kakeladis WASC.

But the pans & the ovens are like @kakeladi says, you can put the same batter in the same oven using 2 different pans & get much different bakes.

Buy a small oven thermometer and use it.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jan 2020 , 1:10am
post #7 of 7

I completely agree on the pans.  Most of my pans are Fat Daddio annodized pans, but the one that bakes the prettiest cake is a heavy aluminum, 2" pan that came in a box of kitchen tools from an estate auction.  Sure wish I knew where I could find more of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%