Mm Fondant Cakes

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 7 Mar 2005 , 8:40pm by Skylar

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 6:59am
post #1 of 7

Well today I stopped by my work and while I was there I thoght that I would have a piece of my cake that is still being worked on. I expected that since it has been cut and cut and cut for the past 4 days that the cake would start drying out. I was totally surprized that it was still super moist and yummy. I did use milk in one and coffee flavoring in the other but I think that as well as the fondant has kept it so fresh that I was amazed.
I actually now like the MM fondant on top of my cakes better than B/C and I can still decorate it how ever I want over the fondant. I found that this time I did it really thin and the BC icing was thin underneath too and everyone has been eating the whole thing. If you have too much fondant and too much icing, it becomes way too sweet. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 7

I agree. Covering a cake with fondant really seals in the moistness. And if you don't cover it too thickly, you don't even taste the fondant. As long as you use a quality brand fondant, or MM fondant for that matter, and the cake is yummy to begin with, then you will have a great tasting cake.

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 6 Mar 2005 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 7

I agree and think it' strange how this works. I made a cake frosted in buttercream last week, and my mom--who does not like frostings or icings much--said it was good but too sweet for her. Last night, she tried the fondant-covered cake I made *that had the same (leftover) buttercream frosting underneath* and said, "See, I like this one better. This is better than ones with all that frosting." Granted, there's less frosting under fondant-covered cakes than on solely frosted ones, but I thought it was funny that the two tastes "blended together" for her. She didn't realize until after I told her that the cake *did* still have frosting under the fondant. icon_smile.gif Like cookieman said, it depends a lot on how thick/thin the fondant is too.

Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 2:38am
post #4 of 7

Cookieman,
What brand of fondant would you recommend? I've only tried the Wilton brand. Thanks!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 7

I've had great luck with Pettinice brand. Keep in mind that it is fondant and has a different taste than buttercream or MM fondant; but it is head and shoulders above Wilton (which I think has a most unpleasant taste--I can't believe they can sell it!). I've not once had a customer complain about Pettinice. Other people have told me Satinice is good to. I have never tried that.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 7

I use Satinice. It is very easy to work with and tastes great too! thumbs_up.gif

Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the brands. I'll look those up on the internet. Is there a certain website you like to order from? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%