Question About Wedding Cakes

Baking By Melissabaker85 Updated 5 Jan 2020 , 4:36am by SandraSmiley

Melissabaker85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissabaker85 Posted 3 Jan 2020 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 5

I’m making my brother’s wedding cake next week. His fiancé wanted vanilla bean cake with cream cheese icing and fresh strawberries in between.  I’m super nervous about a few aspects. 1) it has to be completely finished and ready to go the day before because we are traveling.  I did find a refrigerator for the cake but I’m worried about the strawberries.  Any advice?? I’m worried about the strawberries being mushy, seeping, etc.  

(I’ve done wedding cakes before, but since this is for family, I feel a little more pressure to do it well!  I am also making a grooms cake)

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jan 2020 , 3:14am
post #2 of 5

Using fresh strawberries between the layers and cream cheese frosting surely applies a lot of time restrictions.  Would she be open to a strawberry jam filling?  I am always reluctant to use fresh fruit between the layers unless the cake will be eaten immediately.  Also, instead of real cream cheese frosting, personally I would use -K8memphis's White Balsamic Vinegar frosting, which tastes very much like cream cheese but does not require refrigeration and is much more sturdy.  These changes will allow for much more flexibility, like baking, filling, and crumb coating in advance and freezing.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2020 , 4:49am
post #3 of 5

Yes exactly what Sandra said   Getting a good quality jam like snickers simply fruit is a much better way to go — especially with the restrictions you mentioned   Maybe you could get/buy fresh berries once there & add one or two to each slice when serving the cake   

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2020 , 4:52am
post #4 of 5

That’s supposed to say smucker’s jam not snickers 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jan 2020 , 4:36am
post #5 of 5

Snickers sounds good too, Lynne!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%