Would Using Luster Dust Be Immoral?

Decorating By CupcakeLady14 Updated 2 Jan 2020 , 8:20pm by SandraSmiley

CupcakeLady14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeLady14 Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 3:55am
post #1 of 5

I know, the title is so dramatic but that's me. I was originally going to use edible glitter, disco dust, but I read on here that it could cause problems in people with digestive issues. These cupcakes are for my church and most of the parish is very old with digestive issues. Was disappointed horribly but decided I know I'll freeze my buttercream and paint on luster dust. But then read the kind at our favorite baking store is only non toxic not "edible". I know many still use it, and it isn't a digestive risk like the glitter..but it isn't food. The wilton spray tastes like chemical from what I read, and I dont have an airbrush. I want a metallic sheen and this feels right but is it morally right to feed people this stuff? 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 5:23am
post #2 of 5

Hi!   I see this is your 1st post which means you probably won’t be able to reply to any post so if you want to comment just start a new post referring to this one — example title it something like luster dust use part 2     Are you talking gold?  There are just a couple on the market that are edible   There’s a post recently that tells the brand available   I probably am wrong but I’d just use what you have — not disco dust & not worry   Most likely ea person will only eat one which in my opinion should not hurt unless they are so compromised anything would hurt them  

kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 5:38am
post #3 of 5

That other post I referred to is “gold fondant decorations down just about 5-6 posts 

kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 5

Bump 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 5

I've used Wilton Gold spray and did not find that it had an offensive taste....no taste at all, really.  It is not bright, shiny gold, but it is pretty.  If you just want to use luster dust (the while, pearly looking powder), Wilton's dusts are also edible.  There are also a million colors of coarse sanding sugars which would add a bit of glam and glitter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%