Gold Fondant Decorations

Decorating By BabyCakes2002 Updated 2 Jan 2020 , 5:46pm by kakeladi

BabyCakes2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyCakes2002 Posted 1 Jan 2020 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there!

I've been asked to make a fondant cake that has gold stripes and gold polka dots. I've never used gold before, but I understand that I can colour the fondant a gold-ish colour, and then paint on gold luster dust.

My question is...when do I paint the luster dust on? Do I cut out the stripe, paint it gold, then apply to the cake? Or do I paint the decorations once on the cake?

If I paint it first and then apply to the cake, won't my fondant dry out and crack when I try to put it on the cake? And if I paint it once on the cake how to I make sure I don't get any on the base fondant?

Thanks very much :)

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jan 2020 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 4

Usually it’s painted once on the cake - just have to be very careful:)   Use a fine brush   Unless your hands are very shaky it isn’t that hard   

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jan 2020 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 4

If you have already colored your fondant a base gold color (non metallic), just paint the top surfaces.  The sides of the stripes and dots will not be noticeable.

I don't know where you are located, but in the US there are only a few metallic gold products approved for consumption.  The one with which I am most familiar is Roxy and Rich.  If you are unable to access edible gold, just advise that the stripes and dots much be removed prior to serving.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jan 2020 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%