Need Help With Stand Up Mini-Bear Cake For Super Bowl!!

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 4 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm by Teekakes

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a beginner at decorating cakes, only done the 3 in Wilton Class #1 so far. icon_redface.gif

I've bought the mini-stand up bear pan, and want to make a Chicago Bear cake for the Superbowl this weekend. I've read so many topics on this pan that i have totally confused myself!! I don't know if i'm supposed to use 1 or 2 boxes, add pudding or sour cream icon_confused.gif or even use the heating core!!?!?!

Then once i get it baked, i'm not sure how to go about putting the "C" on the chest. I just want to decorate the bear with a navy shirt and the "C" on it, but i hav no idea how to start this!!

HELP!

Jennifer

8 replies
cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 9

Did you buy the big bear or the mini bear?

The mini bear doesn't have a heating core and doesn't take much batter. It is the size of a couple of muffins.
The large one takes a little more than one cake mix. I don't use the heating core in the large pan either, just bake it longer and it works fine.

I would use the extender, it is in the recipe section.

Most people decorate the bear with the 16 or 18 star tip. You can put a thin layer of icing on the
bear and trace with a toothpick to make a shirt and the "C" and then fill it in with the stars...Does this make sense?

Hope it helps.
Cindy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 9

what a cute idea! Why didn't I think of that? Hmmm maybe I'll try to do that too!!

As far as the bear pan - did you look at "pan instructions" on the left hand of this website? It's under "tell a friend" and before "logout". You just need to make sure you use a dense cake - probably not one of those cakes with teh pudding already in it. You could mix a pound cake and regular cake mix together (although you'll have mix left over - just fill up other pans!) or you could use the "durable cake" recipe on this site. It just can't be something very very moist b/c it will just fall apart.

I think you do use the heating core but I can't quite remember.... the pan instructions should be able to tell you. If not, try contacting Wilton.

Good luck! GO BEARS!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with imartsy. The cake has to be dense. When I made it, my friend wanted choc cake, so I made 2 choc cake mixes and just did 1/2 of the box recommended oil. That should firm it up a little. Use the remainder of batter for cupcakes.

GO BEARSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29apr00 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

You can put a thin layer of icing on the
bear and trace with a toothpick to make a shirt and the "C" and then fill it in with the stars...Does this make sense?

That's a great help Cindy! Thanks!

Found the pan instructions, yup, no core for the mini-pan, so that's one less thing to worry about! thumbs_up.gif

CONFIDENCE! I can do this! icon_wink.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 9

It really is easy and you can do it!! Be sure to post a picture when you finish.

Cindy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:39am
post #7 of 9

let us know when you post the pic!

29apr00 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

Well, it isn't great, but here it is.

NOte: see my post for all that i learned this weekend doing cakes. icon_eek.gif
LL

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 9

You did a good job under such pressure! He is a real cutie bear! Way to go!!! icon_smile.gif

Lea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%