75 Guest Cake Size

Baking By Chanelfargesen Updated 14 Nov 2019 , 8:23pm by SandraSmiley

Chanelfargesen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chanelfargesen Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! 

I am making a round cake for this weekend that is supposed to serve 75 guests. I’m receiving a lot of mixed reviews on whether to go with the 12”, 9”, 6” cake size or the 10” 8” 6” cake size. I typically make 2 inch deep round cakes for stacking. I will typically use 3 layers for each tier. What size do you recommend to properly serve 75 guests? Thank you!  

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 3

6” of height does not increase servings — the cake’s footprint determines servings — so an 8” cake that’s 6” tall and an 8” cake that’s 4” tall yield the same amount of servings but the taller cake doesn’t fit on a 6” plate —

I would do an 11x8x5 with the bottom tier 5” tall — the 10x8x6 is just exactly big enough for 75 but there’s no room for a few servings to be lost to a dowel placement or getting dropped, sneezed on or whatever — 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 3

-K8's tip about making shorter tiers is a good one.  For some reason, my cakes tend to be super tall and the servings are ridiculous and the really do not fit on a dessert plate.  I am making an effort to restrain my cakes to 4" in height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%