Page Ten Of New Book Brownies & Betrayal

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 14 Nov 2019 , 8:46pm by ReginaCoeliB

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 54

I read a lot and I am on page ten of a cozy mystery called “brownies & betrayal by heather justesen— and cozies can be a little trite and cutesy and this is probably no exception and i’m only on page ten but this chick is a pastry chef delivering her award winning brownies and an elaborate wedding cake cake to the venue — but the author surely has truly done cakes herself because the dialogue in her mind is so right on — it just feels So Good — 

she’s opening a shop and whatever the rest of the book entails this is getting five cut out sugar cookie stars from me heart_eyes

what are you reading? 

53 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 54

I homeschool five children... all I read are lesson plans!!!! AAAARRRGGGH! But I'm sure the day will come when i'll have time to read something beyond math, spelling, phonics and science! Enjoy your book K8memphis,... and give us a peek once in a while!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 54

tophatwomans_hat omg — i home schooled two kids for a couple years — it was like traveling to the east and the west coast at the same time — yoiks! and you’ve got FIVE — hats, gloves, and scarf off to you!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 54

i’m only on page 13 so not really a spoiler here rather major plot twist — the brownies were for the rehearsal dinner — the next day she’s setting up the cake & finds a dead body Under The Cake Table!!!!! aghhhh

ReginaCoeliB Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 54

Thanks for the hats and gloves... I'm looking outside my window and everything here (Kansas) is covered by a good inch of snow... aghhhhh! I'm pretty sure Tenn will have a portion of the monster that is moving your way. Also, there are families in town homeschooling 9, and I remember a family from church homeschooling 12 TWELVE! Sure, I keep feeling a strange force pulling my arms, legs and head away! Patience, patience, patience... And finally, please keep going with the spoilers... I do not care... sounds spookily fun so far... please, continue!

Ooops, Sorry, I gotta go English 3 is waiting for me!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 54

yeah it’s too early for the kind of cold that’s on it’s way! this is the south! it’s not even winter And it’s the second time this year brrrrrr — 

need to move closer to the gulf

regina— assign this book to one of the kids for a book report!!! —

ha! jk jk jk jk jk jk

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 54

book plus it’s got recipes — home economics much? the brownie recipe looked pretty interesting...

smile

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 54

Sounds like a fun read, -K8memphis!  I will try to find it.  I am on page 56 of Greg Iles's The Bone Tree and it is already so convoluted with so many characters, I am struggling to keep up with them.  Usually when that happens, it resolves itself after a few more chapters.  It has 804 pages.

I just finished The Wild Girl, The Notebooks of Ned Giles, 1932.  It is about the last "wild" Apaches living, who were living in Mexico and it was great.  Before that, it was Plainsong by Kent Haruf, a National Bestseller.  A small book, but a good read.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 54

I read a lot of Amish romance :)   Just finished “Three weeks to say goodbye “   Don’t remember the author    was about a couple who adopt then 9 months later the “ birth father “ &  his father come to take the baby   Somewhat bruital—gangs, murder strong language etc   Just started “Sanctuary “ by Beverly and David Lewis   Mystry & Amish romance together   Next up will be “let them eat cake” by Sandra Byrd 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 54

I've never read an Amish romance, but I just baked three loaves of Amish Sourdough Bread!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 54

lynne — I have some Amish books around here somewhere — I like some of the movies they’ve had featuring Amish characters  — need to dig those books out —

sandra — oh my gosh I’ve read some greg  ilies — he is really good and gets a little brutal too — I know I read Natchez burning — chilling — he’s a great writer — mighta read some others — 

scott  pratt’s  joe dillard series is really good and his billy Beckett coupla books too — s pratt  lived in tn — sadly he passed away just a couple years ago  and his son is finishing some of his books — crime mysteries — you feel like you know the characters — they are all on kindle unlimited if that’s a factor —

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 54

I do not know Scott Pratt, but will look for his books next time we go to McKay's.  Do any of you have a McKay's?  They sell used books, music and movies.  I've bought many a book for $.25!  The place is huge and Mike and I come out of there loaded to the hilt!  Mike is a big reader too.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 54

lynne — that one movie with Harrison Ford “witness” that was real good!  and there’s another one amish one i’m trying to remember... anyhow...

-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 54

lynne — saving sarah cain  and plain truth are two other movies — i’m always fascinated by amishness, the people, their incredible work ethic, unusual beliefs, their simple ways, outstanding craftsmanship —

we used to have an amish/mennonite store here a few miles away — wonderful unusual food! and then on our way up north to visit we would stop in arcola il for a meal and to shop — but I just learned s lot of those places have closed —wah wah —

are there any/many Amish in ca?

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 12:17am
post #15 of 54

I lived for a couple of years in Amish  country   Taught some 4-5 Amish ladies for 6 was   I’ve read all of those books that are movies already:)   

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:34am
post #16 of 54

in Indiana?

very cool!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:52am
post #17 of 54

I just finished the Every Now & Then by Karen Kingsbury, and the Michelle Obama book. I’m reading now Somewhere in France. A fictional historical novel during WW II,  by Canadian author Jennifer Robson. And next up, The Last Arrow by Erwin Raphael McManus.

kakeladi I read a series of several fictional books about the Beachy Amish. They were really good. That was a long time ago. 

kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 3:51am
post #18 of 54

I really don’t pay much attention to the author but have read many of  kings bury  wonda brunstetter(sp? Something like that) and Lewis  many others I can’t remember   Yes K8 When I lived in IN back around 2005-2008 I was in the heart of Amish country  

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 4:17am
post #19 of 54

sandra — oh man, I missed the bread! (save me a heel) and oops I missed your post earlier too — sorry open_mouth 

but no, either we don’t have a mckay’s or i’ve never heard of it here — but I do kindle — so much easier to hold y’know — and for about ten bucks a month you get access to zillions of books with kindle unlimited — in fact you can keep ten books on stand by — and what happens is I find a new book and rotate one out that I never read yet so I can add the new one and i’ll never get my ten read ever hahaha —

plus I do bookbub — they send an email daily giving reduced prices on five or six books a day and offer several a week for free — so I have those all stashed in my kindle somewhere too —

mckay’s is in nashville, chattanooga, and knoxville— they skipped us scream 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 54

Hey K8memphis, did the snow skip you yesterday...I woke up this morning in single digits....ppprrrrrrr!

And Sandra, do you have any references for Bernard Clayton's bread book. I have a teenager crazy for breadmaking. Any other suggestion on bread making books will be appreciated.

Have a warm day dear ladies.

ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:48pm
post #21 of 54

Oh, and I forgot, any spoilers on Brownies and betrayal today... I'm seriously following you. You stopped at the body under the table... any news?

I gave a thought about the book report, and I might have someone pulling my blanket in the middle of the night saying... "mom I'm scared... can I have a brownie?"

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 1:52pm
post #22 of 54

regina — we are having river effect snow as we speak! say it ain’t so!

bernard clayton? I have his book — the pastry one I think —

i learned to bake bread from the tassahara bread book 1970 edition — although the book itself is long gone

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 54

We got a very early snowstorm here yesterday. I’m an 1 1/2 hours from Toronto. Got maybe 8”. So I baked bread.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 10:33pm
post #24 of 54

cookie regina, yeah no I can’t reveal the author’s whole plot — but I volunteer my services to help eat brownies — middle of the night during the day — all good 

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 10:33pm
post #25 of 54

Regina, I leaned bread baking from Southern Living and Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks.  Bluprint / Craftsy has wonderful classes on all kinds of baking and I have been watching a lot of French pastry and artisan bread classes.  It is a paid site, but right now, you can do a trial free for one month.  You can watch a LOT of classes in a month!  Just Google Bluprint.  Also, the King Arthur Flour site has wonderful recipes and detailed, easy to understand instructions on many, many breads and other baking, as well.  Good for your daughter!  Sounds like me when I was in high school.

-K8, I just can't seem to give up my books.  They are running us out of the house, so I really need to gear up to use a Kindle, but I love my books.

We had just enough snow (with ice underneath it, of course, this is Tennessee) to make the deck and steps slick!  It is as cold as the dickens.  The high has been 26 degrees F., 18 when I got up this morning, and the wind has been blowing, which makes it awful.  Supposed to be colder tonight and tomorrow.

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 10:58pm
post #26 of 54

Hey ReginaCoeliB, 

I'm in my 12th year homeschooling and from one homeschooling mom to another, your time will free up! ;)   My youngest (of two) is in 11th grade now and from about the 4th grade she has been very independent.  So, don't know the ages of yours but once that youngest is nearing the end of grade school you should have some independent mommy reading time! ;)

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 10:59pm
post #27 of 54

snowflake glory to god it’s cold— and I had to go out this morning aghhh! hahaha 

snowman

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 11:01pm
post #28 of 54

i think that calls for some diet busting Comfort Food!!!!’

all in favor?

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 11:21pm
post #29 of 54

sandra — my husband and my sister both thought they din want/like/need a kindle — and I got ‘em one anyway — and they couldn’t believe how fast they fell in love with it — hahahaha — 

and me, I used to run a bookstore and while books will never go away for good — you’re gonna love whatever ebook reader you eventually get!! promise —

but yeah it’s too dang cold not even half way through novEMber— brrr

-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 11:33pm
post #30 of 54

regina — does anyone call you reggie? (one of my gifts is assigning endless nicknames — I really try to keep myself in check online esp)

but another thing about the book is some of it is like I wrote it — like from my own for real standpoint as a decorator — 

i really can’t draw but only good enough to draw a design for a client who is ordering a cake but put a piping bag in my hand and stand back Picasso — just a bunch of little things like the author looked inside our heads and wrote it down — it’s fun to so personally identify with a book —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%