Airbrush Recommendations

Decorating By lmelson Updated 11 Nov 2019 , 7:46pm by kakeladi

lmelson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmelson Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 10

Hi...I would like to purchase an Airbrush kit for my daughter for Christmas.  I am looking for recommendations from professional decorators.  She is talented and looking online, there are many positive and negative reviews for the systems I see.  Please help!

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 10

I would zero in on it being food safe — then i would go by price — I went for an air master a zillion years ago $200 at the time — so if she is pursuing a career doing cakes or an avowed dedicated hobbyist steadily going for bigger and better — spend the coin on a fancy one — if she is wants to spray cakes with color get one of the under $100 ones —

then the better ones have categories of betterness where I get confused — i’ve ever only used the ‘single’ kind but there’s a nicer one than that too with extra something or other — but I get lost there —

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 10

and what a Wonderful gift and a sweet momma!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

It is super confusing, I agree!  I have an inexpensive, no name brand (actually it is called Master) airbrush and compressor and it is fine for spraying cakes, but if it will do any fine, detail work, I have been unable figure out how to do it.

I've heard many great reviews from professional decorators for the Dinkydoodle Airbrush.  It is inexpensive and one feature most loved is that it is small and easy to transport and use at the venue.  If you google it, you can see videos and reviews.

https://evilcakegenius.com/dinkydoodle-airbrush-kit-complete.html

-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2019 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 10

sandra, there’s no way to limit the amount of spray? twisting the tip, lessening the pressure, no random button somewhere on the compressor?  wah wah

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 10

I have no idea, -K8.  I've only used it a few times.  There is not "how to" manual with it so I didn't have any idea you could do anything with the tip.  I can increase and decrease the pressure quite easily.  I don't know if I just need to educate myself or if I need a better airbrush because I know very fine, detailed work is possible.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Nov 2019 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 10

thumbsup

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 1:02am
post #8 of 10

Hay K8  attach you well worded spree about not being able to reply to any post for this person    They might have?s 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2019 , 3:03am
post #9 of 10

smile yes ma’am

lmelson — there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with your time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you need/want to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2019 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 10

Bump 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%