Do You Guys Follow Up With Customers?

Baking By Zbowles Updated 6 Nov 2019 , 1:36am by SandraSmiley

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 7

I've been baking for about two years now and I've noticed that not many customers send comments after receiving their order but I'm always super curious about how the cake tasted/looked after delivery. I always figure no news is good news but is it weird to follow up? I work from home and I'm self taught so I just happen to crave feedback so that I can improve. This is a cake I worked on for a customer that I delivered last night. I'd love some constructive criticism!  Also, any tips or tricks about how to cover base boards better as you can see it's peeking out!  Thanks! 

Do You Guys Follow Up With Customers?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 7

no — but i would get a report back from my kids if they ever attended the reception — but no, never contacted the client afterwards

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 7

but my kids report back about the cake for whatever wedding they attend — whether I did the cake or not

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 7

I'm only a hobby baker but like you sometimes the people I make cakes for never give me feedback and I think no news is good news.  But also like you I would like to know if the cake was a success.  I don't see any harm in writing a follow up note a day or two later just to see if their event went well, to thank them again for their order, etc.  I used to be in the floral industry and in that arena the majority of the time that we did hear from clients it was if something was wrong.  So I tend to think people will only call if they have a complaint.  But it would be nice for some positive feedback every once in a while.

As for the cake board, you could use a small piping tip and pipe a thin strip along the board and then use a straight edge or a piece of acetate to smooth it out to cover the board.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:05am
post #5 of 7

You cake is quite beautiful and you did a great job on your finish.  We will  always be happy to comment on your work because we've been there and done that!

When I am wanting to use a minimal amount of frosting, as you've done with this cake, I trim my cake boards so they are just slightly smaller than the cake, which makes it very easy to cover and hide.

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:14am
post #6 of 7

Trimming the cake board down is a great idea! Thank you! Also, I actually went out on a limb and asked her how it turned out and she said that everyone loved the cake and it was moist and delicious!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 1:36am
post #7 of 7

Big thumbs up!  That is usually the case, if you don't hear anything.  I guess people don't realize that we bake with our hearts and hold our breaths until we know we've given satisfaction.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%