Substitute For Crisco Vegetable Shortening?

Baking By maddisoncann Updated 6 Nov 2019 , 12:58am by SandraSmiley

maddisoncann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddisoncann Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 9:39am
post #1 of 20

Hi all!

I am wanting to attempt to make my own bread and then a pumpkin or cherry pie.

I am following an american ladies recipe and she uses crisco in a lot of her baking.
For the bread, she greases the tin and in the pie she uses it in the filling. 
I have seen crisco online but not instore so I know I can get it, but I'm wondering - could I just use butter instead? Is the flavour bad/different??

I am freshly 20 years old and I really want to try out this baking thing, so any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 20

I would suggest finding recipes that are specifically written using the products that are readily available to you — yes butter can be used but you need the instructions for butter pie crust — 

I’m not real sure which recipes to point you to because I know how to bake and places I go for great recipes will have that know how behind it — not all the fine points you need —

ok — the joy of baking right here online will help you and I got another one for you — lemme post this and then i’ll post links brb...

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 20

https://m.joyofbaking.com/

https://www.craftybaking.com/howto/bread-how-bake

this ^^^ is a place with a membership to purchase — Sarah, the owner is great — tons of help there!

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/all-pw-recipes/

this place ^^^ has tons of lovely recipes plus tasty kitchen recipes plus she regularly gives away real cool stuff for example kitchen aid mixers, all her own products plus in dec soon she will do a 12 days of Christmas giving away a gorgeous pair of cowgirl boots every day —

you can of course always come here but these are the best most rock solid places I know — best baking to you!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 20

Crisco is a solid vegetable fat.  In the UK (and maybe lots of other places), a similar product is called Trex.  I've never made bread that included Crisco and I've never used Crisco in a pie filling.  These sound like very strange recipes.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 20

and joy of baking is a wonderful rock rib solid place to learn book

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 20

sandra, actually esp after wwll using crisco in recipes is common — maybe not always first choice nowadays but ordinary and still very out there

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 20

The only recipes I've ever seen that called for Crisco are a few cakes, biscuits, pie crust....I guess any bread that needs to be flakey. What I've mostly used it for is frying.  Not that I doubt you, just that I am not familiar with them.

By the way, I completely agree with all of your learning choices.  I have many, many Craftsy classes and am a subscriber to Bluprint, the new Craftsy and one of my first cook books was The Joy of Baking, which I passed on to my daughter.  Love Ree Drumman!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 20

Actually read the post again   The OP tells us the Crisco For the bread recipe is used only to grease the pan   For the pie she does say it’s used for the filling but I bet it’s used in the crust  which means butter could easily be substituted in both recipes 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 20

And as K8 said I hope we get some follow up information— probably in another post  

-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2019 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 20

i have a tea ring I make that I only use shortening in because the filling has butter in it — I want the bread part to be a frame for the picture, a palette for the paint type of thing

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 1:02am
post #11 of 20

-K8memphis, I have no idea what a tea ring might be.  If you have a pic, I would love to see.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 20

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15452/swedish-tea-ring/

i have a picture somewhere of my trunk full of my tea rings all packaged up for christmas gift giving — it’s a couple computers ago...don’t know exactly where blush

also this recipe takes butter in the bread part — but I use the old vintage refrigerator potato roll dough recipe with a little vanilla in there and for the filling I use brown sugar, butter, ground walnuts, and a little flour to bind the water in the butter (but sometimes I clarify the butter first but still would use a little bit of flour)

this seems real simple, straightforward and while it is, together it morphs into an irresistible creature with the right ratios of everything — it’s a baked caramel filling and bits that leak out onto the pan are quite memorable —

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/icebox-potato-rolls/

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 1:06pm
post #13 of 20

Oooooh! It is a pastry!  I could not get my head around it.  It looks and sounds wonderful.  Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 20

you’re welcome, baking buddy blush

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 20

about those pictures from previous computers and phones that are not in the cloud they reside in the fog bwoowahahahahahaha!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 20

one more thing — the coolest thing about that potato roll recipe is that you can whip up the dough a day of two in advance of a holiday meal and whip it out a few hours before service plop the rolls in the pans that likewise could be prepared in advance — ‘cause you gotta give ‘em time to rise — and they are Fantastic dinner rolls!

plus the aromatherapy of baking them is deliriously lovely — gotta make sure your oven will be free when you need it, timing is everything — but anyway — made those every year when the kids were growing up — but i’m gluten light now — 

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 20

Funny thing, I've been baking yeast breads since I was a teenager (almost as long as cake!), but I don't think I've ever made rolls with potatoes.  This morning, before I saw your recipe, I was reading King Arthur Flour's Amish Rolls recipe, which is very similar and is also made with potatoes, and preparing to make them.  Actually, your recipe is a little bigger and a little richer, which equals more yummy, in my opinion. I think I will try yours.

I have a sourdough starter that has been in my family for over 40 years and it is made with instant potatoes, sugar and water.  It makes the most delicious bread.  I like to add it to all different kinds of bread, not just the recipe for which it was designed.

Finally, after six years, I've gotten the fat off my butt and am back to my normal weight, so carbs (bread!) and sweets are on the back burner for me.  

-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2019 , 6:18pm
post #18 of 20

how cool! that’s a wonderful starter that old! and you’re already eating potato roll dough made even better using a 40 yr old starter — wow

as I mentioned recently I started out professionally way back when (actually 1970) making bread — love love love making bread —

and there’s strudel dough too where you stretch it — that has got to be one of the most amazing things to do with flour — i think we have discussed strudel before —

and there’s  “dead dough” that you can sculpt and color and make extravagant sculptures with — I love to see the pastry chefs compete for the coveted French title “mof” (highest craftsman)  and man, they do Not disappoint —

and then you recently made cream puffs altogether what one can do with flour and a few ingredients is aMAYzingly mind blowing!

love to bake!

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Nov 2019 , 1:39am
post #19 of 20

So do I, Kate!  I agree with everything you just said!

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Nov 2019 , 12:58am
post #20 of 20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%