Friday Night Cake Club For 10-25-19

Decorating By Laetia Updated 29 Oct 2019 , 5:23am by Marian64

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Oct 2019 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 28

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Good friday night to everyone! I have no cake to share yet, but I'm going to work on a little cake tomorow for a family dinner. I thought it was the occasion to try my russian piping tips. I hope everything will go as planned, I'll share a picture later this weekend of the beautiful cake or disaster that I've made!

Julie

27 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 1:17am
post #2 of 28

Same old flowers, but I finished the baby's breath.  Cake will be put together tomorrow.  Laetia, even if your first attempt at the Russian tips is not perfect, I know your cake will be beautiful.Friday Night Cake Club For 10-25-19

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 1:31am
post #3 of 28

That’s insane, Sandra!! I made some random stuff this week, but thankfully I got to make some cookies to cheer on our local baseball team :)

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 4:52am
post #4 of 28

Pretty flowers Sandra and nice cookies MerMadeBakedGoods. I made this one a while back. A celebration of a store Anniversary.(Morgan Miller)Friday Night Cake Club For 10-25-19

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 28

Thank you, MerMadeBakedGoods and Betty!

I love your baseballs, MerMadeBakedGoods and I know the kids got a kick out of having their personalized cookie!

Betty, you cakes always make me happy, just looking at them!  I love these happy colors, but it is the perfect, gorgeous border that holds my attention!

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 28

You three are so talented! Those are all on my list of things to learn. I think an attempt at cookies will be coming soon... though, I'd love to be able to wow people with perfect flowers and piping.

The baking mood hit me at midnight last night and I spent all night in the kitchen... The last couple of days I'd been working on improving my pastry cream recipe, and saving the egg whites, so I used them to make an angel food cake for my wife, baked as cake layers filled with ermine frosting, strawberries, and a strawberry puree reduction. I also frosted it with ermine and made some whipped cream to go with it. 
 I also made a some flaky pie dough and baked it around cannoli forms to make tubes. I filled some with a cherry puree reduction & black walnut cream cheese. I filled the others with a ricotta based pumpkin spice filling.

Laetia Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 28

SandraSmiley the baby's breaht complete your roses bouquet amazingly. I can't wait to see the cake they are going to be on.

MerMadeBakedGoods, those chilrden are so lucky! Very pretty cookies.

BettyA, I have to agree with Sandra, your border is piped so perfectly and you sure know how to make smooth cake! 

Laetia Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 28

So here it is, a little 6'' cake I've made for a familly diner tomorow night to comemorate the memory of my mom who passed away one year ago. I wanted to make a cake she would have liked... 

BettyA Posted 26 Oct 2019 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 28

Cake look lovely, good job. The flowers look pretty made with the new tips.

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:46am
post #10 of 28

It is absolutely gorgeous, Lastia, and a beautiful tribute to your mom.  Great job with the Russian tips!

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:47am
post #11 of 28

Finished and eaten (partially)!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:47am
post #12 of 28

Beautifully balanced design....now I wanna try piping with those suckers!!

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:49am
post #13 of 28

Made macarons to go with it, my third time making them.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:50am
post #14 of 28

Man, you’re good, Sandra!!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:51am
post #15 of 28

Thanks MerMadeBakedGoods, but I am so so.  I do it strictly for fun.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 1:57am
post #16 of 28

Well then I’d love to know what you’re REALLY good at, sister!!!

BettyA Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 2:28am
post #17 of 28

Yes my friend you are so-so ----so---Good at everything you do. :))))xxoo

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 2:36am
post #18 of 28

MerMadeBakedGoods and Betty, both of you are so sweet.  Thank you!  

Laetia Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 12:44pm
post #19 of 28

Thank you for the kind words, you are all so sweet!

ThatCakeDude42 everything you've made sounds so delicious, what a night you had!

SandraSmiley the final cake and assorted macaron are very beautiful. May I ask how the stripes were mare on the side of the cake? Did you just pipe thin stripes of buttercream on then smooth? They are so straight

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 4:46pm
post #20 of 28

Thanks so much, Laetia!  I used a comb with a rick-rack type edge to comb groves into the white frosting, than piped the orange frosting into the groves and smoothed.  If I had the right type comb, which I do not, the stripes would be clean and defined instead of irregular and smudgy.  The fact that it is cream cheese didn't help because it is too soft.

Laetia Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks Sandra!  Now that you tell, I remember seeing a tutorial using this technique...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 5:14pm
post #22 of 28

But—-buttt I like irregular & smudged :)  

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 5:31pm
post #23 of 28

I made this for my daughters 10th birthday. It’s painted fondant which was really fun to do. The meringues were a bit tricky but I’m very pleased with the result and she loved it.

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 5:51pm
post #24 of 28

That is really beautiful, Louglou.  Love the colors!

@kakeladi, I really like the irregularity and smudging too.  I admire perfect cakes, but what I love is beautiful buttercream, sort of rustic or gorgeous piping.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 27 Oct 2019 , 11:26pm
post #25 of 28

@SandraSmiley just wow!!! Those roses and baby breath are so real looking! Macaroons are something I want to learn to do. Will have to remember the striping technique.

@BettyA love your cake. I can never get my boarders to look so even and clean.

@MerMadeBakedGoods love your cookies but I am rooting for the Astros!

@Laetia love your cake and what a great tribute to your mom.

@ThatCakeDude42 all of it sounds yummy.

@louglou what a lovely cake I bet she loved it.

My baby turns 30 in a few day so we threw him a surprise party. I made him a spice cake with cream cheese buttercream frosting. Made the fish out of fondant. I didn’t put it together until just before the party and one of the guest thought the fish head was real. Do I am happy on how it turned out.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2019 , 12:41am
post #26 of 28

Crikey, Marian64, I thought it was real too!  My first impression was.,.GROSS, GAG,  then I realized you made it!  Wow, it is fabulous!

Laetia Posted 28 Oct 2019 , 1:03am
post #27 of 28

@louglou I love all the colors on your cake! Did you hand painted the cake and board? The meringue lollipop are way too cool!

@Marian64 your fish is awesome, realy! Thanks for your kind words.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 29 Oct 2019 , 5:23am
post #28 of 28

@SandraSmiley glad to know I fooled you for a second. I am always in awe of your work. 

Love FNCC. I don’t have any cakes until the end of November.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%