Gumpaste Like Fondant Help!

Decorating By WinyanTate Updated 12 Jan 2020 , 9:48am by rdevon

WinyanTate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WinyanTate Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 17

Hi

Last month I read here about a gumpaste that was more malleable then normal.  I lost the link to where I could get it. Does anyone remember?

Thank you

WinyanTate

16 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 17

I don't remember seeing it at all.  Depending upon what you are making, Saracino Modeling Paste might be a good choice.  It is far superior to fondant for modeling / sculpting, but does dry very hard and strong.  If you want it for flowers, Sugarin Flower Paste by Arati Marji is strong and stays pliable, so breakage is prevented when arranging.  It also comes in regular and high-humidity.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 17

like sandra i do not remember the reference but nick lodge's recipe is an awesome one:

https://www.nicholaslodge.com/images/recipes/Gumpaste_Recipe.pdf

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 17

I totally agree, -K8memphis.  I've used several commercial brands, included the revered Platinum Paste (which is awesome but fragile), but I still prefer Nick Lodge's recipe. It rolls extremely thinly, holds up to heat and humidity better than any other, and is strong.  Also inexpensive and easy to make.  I always use one more egg white than his recipe calls for.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Oct 2019 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 17

Flower Paste by Arati Mirji is realtively new & has good reviews.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 12:50am
post #6 of 17

MBalaska, Arati sent me a box with a packet of the regular and a packet of the high humidity variety to try out.  I am not that good at flowers, but I really do like the product.  The thing I like most is that is does not get as hard as a rock and brittle.  If it does get too hard, you just have to lightly steam it to bring back the pliableness.  Because it stays slightly soft, it doesn't break when you are arranging your bouquets.  Arati lives in India and it was created for the monsoon season. She is also Cake Master's Magazine's reigning Sugar Florist of the Year, that is from the whole world.  She has a US distributor in California, but I don't know if it is available for ordering yet.

I've been making roses today for a birthday cake next week and I am making the inside petals from Nicholas Lodge's gum paste and the outer petals and sepals from the Sugarin.  It is working great.

MBalaska Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 2:16am
post #7 of 17

@SandraSmiley, that sounds very interesting.  I've certainly cracked & chipped my share of sugar flowers.  I'm wondering who is selling it in the U.S.? I've made a ton of the Nicholas Lodge gum paste, as I've purchased several of his tutorials on Craftsy, & his DVD's from his website.

But a slightly flexible gumpaste that won't crack during arranging, sounds very helpful !!  I'm looking forward to seeing these roses that you are making.

One lovely discovery that I found last year or so was the Italian gumpaste for making daisies.  The stuff is crazy strong & almost rubbery when you're rolling it out, but it cuts those tiny daisy petals so perfectly & they all hold together.  Laped Daisy Gum Paste.  ( I did waste a whole package trying to use it on the lace mats.  It didn't work for me at all.  Just for the record here.)

Gumpaste Like Fondant Help!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Oct 2019 , 2:54am
post #8 of 17

Aww, you daisies are beautiful, MBalaska!  Believe it or not, I've never made a daisy.  Your's look almost like they have individual, wired petals!  The paste sounds amazing.

I found the  name of the distributor for Sugarin Flower Paste.  The lady's name is Lorena, Sugarin North America, Direct order at: 1-559-653-8353, email address: [email protected]

rdevon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdevon Posted 10 Jan 2020 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 17

Hi. I see this is an old thread but I could use your help with Arati Mirji's flower paste. It was a delight using this paste to make roses, though I struggled a bit. Now the roses are very brittle and I am concerned about what will happen when I arrange them. I am working on a large bouquet on my days off from work, so it will be May or June until I arrange them. I tried steaming them and the base of the outer petals softened a bit but the tops of the petals remain very very brittle. What brand or kind of steamer should I use to make them pliable enough to arrange them. I have an old very cheap steamer. Help!

rdevon Posted 10 Jan 2020 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 17

Additional Note; My steamer does not emit hot steam, just barley warm steam.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jan 2020 , 11:53pm
post #11 of 17

I've never tried steaming them, rdevon, just took Arati's word for it.  I would not think the kind of steam would make any difference because you can steam your flowers over a tea kettle, if you want to.    Try lightly steaming them and sealing them inside a plastic bag to help distribute the moisture.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 17

Have you tried adding fondant to gp?  Any combination of Up to 1/2&1/2 mix might be what you are looking for 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 17

In case rdevon does not see this, kakeladi, she advised on another site that she tried steaming them with her tea kettle and it worked perfectly, so I guess it was because her steamer did not get hot.  Woohoo!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 17

In case rdevon does not see this, kakeladi, she advised on another site that she tried steaming them with her tea kettle and it worked perfectly, so I guess it was because her steamer did not get hot.  Woohoo!

MBalaska Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 5:52pm
post #15 of 17

Gumpaste Like Fondant Help!   I gave up on using those clothes steamers for my flowers & leaves...….. Now I use a glass lid with a tiny steam hole in the top.  Then just twirl my items over the hole.  It gives out more than enough steam for what I need.    I'm afraid that I just go my own way sometimes with my decorating. 

ps: I didn't label the photo for you guys.  This is part of my 'tips & techniques' folder.  I photograph things, put a caption on it, then save it so I'll never forget.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jan 2020 , 6:00pm
post #16 of 17

That is a great idea, MBalaska.  I don't have a lid with a steam hole, but I used my tea kettle for years before I got a steamer.  The only advantage to the steamer is that it starts steaming almost immediately.  The kettle works equally well.

I've never had a cake lesson of any kind, so I completely understand the "going your own way" thing, lol.  If I ever need help, I reach out to the good folks here and on my other sites and watch a lot of YouTube.

rdevon Posted 12 Jan 2020 , 9:48am
post #17 of 17

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will buy a new steamer at some point but it is nice to know that the hot steam from the stove top will soften the petals of the Arati flower paste. The flowers got hard again but when I eventually arrange the flowers, I will steam as I go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%