Dry Cake And Cream Cheese Red Velvet Filling Help!

Baking By jollybuns Updated 5 days ago by SandraSmiley

jollybuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jollybuns Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 9

My first problem: 

My cakes keep coming out dry/not moist enough. I usually bake them a day before, freeze them overnight and the next day I soak them in simple syrup, Frost and put it in the fridge. I feel like freezing helps when it comes to frosting especially if doing a naked cake. I've tried both box cakes and cakes from scratch and I get the same results: dry/ not moist enough. Any tips on how to fix this? 

Second issue: 

I made red velvet macarons and used a cream cheese filling. It called for butter, powdered sugar and powdered milk along with cream cheese and vanilla. It came out too sweet plus it did not hold it's consistency, it was runny the next day. Any recipe recommendations for red velvet macaroon fillings with or without cream cheese? 

Thanks in advance!!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 9

don’t over bake — put your simple syrup on the layers before you freeze — use an oven thermometer— check the calibration on your oven to be sure it is cycling properly —

I bake my cakes at 350 because that is the temperature that baking powder is designed to react to — then if the middle still needs more time — put a foil tent over the top and turn the temp down 25 degrees for  10, 15 minutes  — babysit the cakes — use a timer and turn the temp down again if necessary — when you take it out keep the foil over it to ensure the bake until it has cooled off considerably, 10 mins or so —

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 9

for the cream cheese filling — you will have to keep the cookies refrigerated and so i’d recommend a different approach — 

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

just a thought 

jollybuns Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 9

Do you put the simple syrup while the cake is still warm? Or after it completely cools?

post #5 of 9

Do you put the simple syrup while the cake is still warm? Or after it completely cools?

post #6 of 9

post #7 of 9

-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 9

and just a couple ideas if you feel like experimenting — to tame the sweetness further if necessary— you could test with some buttermilk powder and/or lemon juice — would sub for some of the cream

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 days ago
post #9 of 9

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%