Cheljo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheljo Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 3:42am
post #1 of 9

Can you freeze buttercream icing?

8 replies
BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 4:27am
post #2 of 9

Yes, I have frozen my leftover BC. No problem, place in freezable container & to use,  just let it thaw up & stir well.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 11:39am
post #3 of 9

100%.  I always make my buttercream up in advance and put it in the freezer.  The night before I need it I put it in the fridge and then pull it out a couple hours to let it warm up to room temp and give it a quick stir.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 9

Another one who agrees with what has been said:) 

Cheljo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheljo Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you everyone! I currently have it in a plastic ziploc storage bowl is that ok to put in the freezer like that or what kind of bowl?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 9

blush i’m different but still so loveable — I freeze my just baked cakes torted and filled — but I only make enough icing to get that all done — then I make fresh when it’s time to ice and decorate — because I think it holds the vanilla better — it makes a difference to me — I still had to hold the cake for a day or two before it’s eaten but the aromatherapy of the butter and vanilla wafting around my cake tables was always appreciated — if I did freeze icing I didn’t use it to cover a cake that I sold —

I once got to eat fresh made chocolate bonbons— then I ate some over the next days and while they were always incredibly delicious — hand made in person by a famous pastry chef — I was shocked at the loss of flavor — the first day they were astronomical, the second day they were seriously great — the following day they still beat Russell stover and anything you can buy at the store but they actually tasted completely different than the original product — 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 9

If I have a good amount of frosting left over, I freeze it, just as previously stated.  It never occurred to me that it could loose flavor!  I will keep that in mind and add extra vanilla/almond if needed.

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 8 Oct 2019 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 9

I always make fresh BC for each cake ordered but freeze any leftover BC to make my flowers with.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 9

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%